Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Model Railroading > Moondog Railcar Models Pipe Loads

Date: 11/30/12 14:56
Moondog Railcar Models Pipe Loads
Author: NSTopHat

Moondog has come out with a really nice pipe load. Custom run pipe from K&S, IIRC, custom painted, banded and includes dunnage. MSRP is $32.92 for a completed load. This load is 9 - 36" dia green gas pipes, which are 80' long ea. Well worth the money spent, will be getting a few more in the near future for additional loads.

Image #1 - Overall image of the load on an Athearn Genesis TTX F89F flat, that will get converted into a PTTX flat sometime in the future.

Image #2 - End view of the pipe loda showing banding and dunnage. Ends and interiors are primer painted.

Image #3 - Load inverted showing the base dunnage, which sits pefectly as is on the tops of the side rails of the car, Can be shortened transversly to fit within the side channels of the car. Not sure how they will sit on the pending release of the BLMA PTTX flats. Will be reviewing prototype photos to see how the loads sit on F89F's.

NSTopHat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/12 15:12 by NSTopHat.

Date: 11/30/12 15:03
Re: Moondog Models Pipe Loads
Author: hartrick24

Hey Russ , are these in at TMM.Steve

Date: 11/30/12 15:12

Date: 11/30/12 16:36
Author: rschonfelder

One thing that really p+++es me off is checkout shopping carts that only allows customers from within the USA.

Rick

Date: 11/30/12 17:42
Author: toledopatch

Are you planning to shave off the ends of the bottom dunnage beams so that they fit inside the rub rails?

Date: 11/30/12 18:11

toledopatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you planning to shave off the ends of the
> bottom dunnage beams so that they fit inside the
> rub rails?

'Patch, I plan on revewing photos of F89F's and seeing how they are blocked. My guess is that I will have to trim the ends for them to fit.

Russ

Date: 11/30/12 18:21
Author: WAF

toledopatch Wrote:
> Are you planning to shave off the ends of the
> bottom dunnage beams so that they fit inside the
> rub rails?

I did

Date: 11/30/12 19:57
Author: toledopatch

Those are great looking loads. I may have to get some myself, and then decide which of my intermodal cars I want to re-letter for pipe service -- or hope BLMA does their PTTXs in the "Trailer Train" scheme at some point, if that's accurate. I remember seeing some pipe loads on the head-end of a Conrail TVPI train at Cresson, Pa., in October 1990 and I probably should dig out that slide and see if I can tell what car type the flats were, though I don't remember photographing the cars themselves....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/12 20:01 by toledopatch.

Date: 12/03/12 06:42
Author: wictl

From the photos that I have, the dunnage sits on top of the channel sides with support. It looks like the lower dunnage beam sits in a craddle of angle irons supported by channels. Looking forward to purchasing some of these loads.

Wictl

Date: 12/03/12 08:28
Author: drolsen

wictl Wrote:
> From the photos that I have, the dunnage sits on
> top of the channel sides with support. It looks
> like the lower dunnage beam sits in a craddle of
> angle irons supported by channels.

BLMA is producing those cross beam supports for their new 89' PTTX pipe flat:

http://www.blmamodels.com/images/blog/PTTX_PreProduction_Header1200.jpg

They also plan to offer the supports separately so you can do a "PTTX conversion" on other types of flats, which were mentioned in their original flyer:

http://www.blmamodels.com/images/misc/Flyer_Jan12.pdf

I plan to buy a couple of the conversion sets to modify Genesis 89' flats for pipe service.

Dave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.048 seconds