Home Open Account Help 367 users online

Model Railroading > Atlas HO scale CNW Dash 8-40C models

Date: 12/05/12 20:17
Atlas HO scale CNW Dash 8-40C models
Author: GP35

Here are a couple of HO scale Atlas factory painted Chicago and Northwestern Dash 8-40C locomotives. I thought to share these two as "study" pictures.

I did not do much to these GE's. I did a light weathering job to make them look like they have been thoroughly washed and are just a year or two old in appearance. I weathered both with washes mainly to the truck sideframes and fuel tank areas. I did some dry brushing to the front and rear pilots. I also applied exhaust soot around the stack by dry brushing.

I darkened the grilles with thinned out Polly Scale black acrylic paint. I used a fine tipped sable hair brush to get the grilles neatly darkened. It takes patience and time but the results are worth the effort. It usually takes just about an hour to darken the grilles on one GE Dash 8 unit. It's relaxing to do the grille darkening so I don't feel the time pass by.

I applied a smooth coat of Testors Dullcote to both models to suggest a light coating of road dust on the models. All glass is carefully masked to avoid getting Dullcote on them. Getting rid of the factory paint sheen adds realism to a lot of models.

I use natural outdoor sunlight for lighting. I set my models on a small folding table with a white board as the background. No layout or diorama so this is the best for now.

My camera is an 8 mega-pixel Canon digital Rebel XT with a 18-55 mm lens. I actually hand hold all my shots since I dislike using my tripod. It takes a steady hand and great concentration to do this. At times I use the edge of the table to rest my forearm on. It helps add stability.

I set my ISO to 400, set my camera to shutter priority at 100 speed, and manually focus all pictures. My aperture readings with this combination are between 22 and 36 depending on how I zoom in or out. I get great depth of field with small aperture openings like this to keep all areas of the models in focus for the most part.

I stand about a foot or so away from my models when I photograph them. This works for my needs. Others will vary. I arrived at this combination by experimenting and these pictures are the results. Hope this is of help and hope you enjoy these models. Thanks for looking, Gilbert.

Date: 12/05/12 20:18
Re: Atlas HO scale CNW Dash 8-40C models

last three...

Date: 12/06/12 06:15
Author: electromac

They look great..........

Date: 12/06/12 06:22
Author: antlorch

I am a huge fan of the CNW in the coal fields and these models look great. All you need now is a CNW SD60 and 112 coal cars and they would be right at home. Thanks for sharing.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/06/12 06:59
Author: sp8192

Really nice job! I always loved the CNW dash 8's, mainly because once they were delivered new, they were equipped with Nahtnan 5chime K5HR24 style horns. That is the only criticism that I have, purchase 2 Details West AH-250 horns for these beauties!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/12 08:19 by sp8192.

Date: 12/06/12 07:12

I was not sure what replacement horn to install on my CNW Dash 8's. Now I know and a replacement can be made. Thanks for the part number too! Gilbert

Date: 12/06/12 07:39
Author: NSTopHat

Great models, love the subtle touch on the weathering. I too have a soft spot for C&NW's big modern GE's. When I lived in Milwaukee, years ago, in a galaxy far, far, away, I enjoyed shooting them on the various coal trains that came into and through SE WI. I have an undec D840C that will become a C&NW unit, along with a Kato D9-44CW and will be converting an Athearn AC4400CW to have a Kato cab....

Russ

Date: 12/06/12 08:44
Author: P5r24

GP35 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was not sure what replacement horn to install on
> my CNW Dash 8's. Now I know and a replacement can
> be made. Thanks for the part number too! Gilbert

GP35,

Here is a photo showing that horn type. (Airchime K5H)

Proto Type C&NW 8540

Great work as always!

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/12 08:45 by P5r24.

Date: 12/06/12 21:07
Author: alco539

NAH, just a UP patch.!!.....Just kidding. LOL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/12 21:07 by alco539.

Date: 12/07/12 10:51
Author: grahamline

Let's see. 112 coal gons at $35.95 a car . . .

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0759 seconds