Home Open Account Help 293 users online

Model Railroading > What Model RR stuff are you getting for the holidays/Xm

Current Page:1 of 3

Date: 12/12/12 12:57
What Model RR stuff are you getting for the holidays/Xm
Author: brfriedm

So what are you getting from Santa? I mean what are you buying yourself? I mean what have you told the others to buy you? :)

Anyways, whatever that is, please share! I celebrate Hanukkah and we are in the midst of it now. 5th night. So got this beauty. I have always loved NS highhoods. This is a stock Athearn from the latest run detailed up, with new lighting(ditch lights on both ends) white striping and weathering. She also has Tsunami sound. A beauty and she runs great. The 2nd unit is a recent addition I am finishing for the lease fleet. Still need to add ditch lights. I think CN just bought these. Go figure.

Anyways, Happy Holidays to all.

Bruce Friedman

Date: 12/12/12 13:01
Re: What Model RR stuff are you getting for the holiday
Author: march_hare

My wife tells me to expect lumps of coal. Not sure if they will be appropriately sized for HO.

Date: 12/12/12 13:28
Author: sou2601

Ordered the N scale Phase III Amfleets by Kato (one each of the two sets). Got a $50 gift certificate already, and will probably get another on Christmas. Just need an F40PH, and I'll have a nice little late 80's version of the Carolinian (maybe get a 2nd set of coaches)!

-Eric

Date: 12/12/12 13:29
Author: AndyD

march_hare Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My wife tells me to expect lumps of coal.

My dad had a coal fired live steamer, so whenever he was told he was getting lumps of coal for Christmas, he just smiled and said Yay!.

As for me, I'm hoping for some N scale Bethgons...

Date: 12/12/12 13:31
Author: iaisfan

Really nice power there Bruce. It's great to hear that the Athearn runs so well, because it sure looks great - nice weathering and details. Hopefully they've gotten past their days of such inconsistent quality in their mechanisms, because that's really the only thing that keeps me from buying them.

I tend to get money for Christmas from relatives, since they've long since given up on finding me the right hobby items. If that holds true again this year, I plan to put it toward more Tsunamis for a few IAIS Geep rebuilds that are currently on, and lined up for, the workbench. These four units, along with two undec Genesis GP38-2s that management gave me the go-ahead to pre-order, should round out my IAIS roster once and for all at 20 units. The only other power I could ever see myself ordering down the road would be more ATHG GP38-2s if they ever offer factory IAIS paint. Not sure I'd be able to resist those.

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA
www.iaisrailfans.org/../Sub4WestEnd

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/12 13:32 by iaisfan.

Date: 12/12/12 13:32
Author: SD45X

Wife threw down a Genesis F45 in BN paint. I picked up three more Broadway CZ cars. A custom KCS fleet arrived via ebay, not sure if I can count them as gifts:) Three white switchers and a detailed/weathered snoot. She digs the weathered stuff.

Date: 12/12/12 13:55
Author: MrMRL

While not 100% model RR related, I'm picking up one of the just released GoPro Hero3 cameras... Wanna see if I can mount it on a flat car to send around the club's layout capturing 48 fps 1440p video... Should be fun if it fits through the tunnels.

Mr. MRL

Date: 12/12/12 13:57
Author: electromac

march_hare Wrote:
> My wife tells me to expect lumps of coal. Not
> sure if they will be appropriately sized for HO.

LoL.........

Date: 12/12/12 14:06
Author: iaisfan

Forgot to mention that I also asked for Lance Mindheim's latest book, "How to Operate a Modern Era Switching Layout", http://www.amazon.com/How-Operate-Modern-Switching-Layout/dp/1467956996/ref=zg_bs_5155_10 . I've long admired Lance's approach to the hobby, and I've heard good things about the book.

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA
www.iaisrailfans.org/../Sub4WestEnd

Date: 12/12/12 14:12
Author: J.Ferris

Well I hope it arrives by xmas but ordered a custom helix kit from Ashlin Trains.

J.

Date: 12/12/12 14:29
Author: BCutter

I have a set of Athearn ABBA F9s painted for the NS OCS. I ordered "stuff" to try to make them passable representations of the real thing. Since I have never tried anything like this, "twill be an adventure!

Date: 12/12/12 14:55
Author: funnelfan

Guess I could count the custom SP TEBU slug I bought from a friend that was built on a Atlas U23B mechanism. Still got lots to do like add a decoder, more details, and then weather the heck out of it.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 12/12/12 15:23
Author: NSTopHat

The installation of new cabinets and countertops to serve as teh workbench in the basement, a new Tamron 18-280mm lense for the 40D and Saturday Fedex is showing that a OMI BNSF ES44C4 will be arriving. It will get converted from a 6600 series unit to a 6300 series unit, at some point.

Russ

Date: 12/12/12 16:06
Author: bobdavis

A couple of Tsunami sound decoders is about it this time, but you never know what "must have" might decide to pop up on eBay!

Bob

Date: 12/12/12 16:20
Author: Costanza

One of these....the scotch and model train society of the Bay Area has many members....though it is a secret society, and membership is by invitation only.... ;)

Date: 12/12/12 16:36
Author: DKay

Costanza Wrote:
> One of these....the scotch and model train society
> of the Bay Area has many members....though it is a
> secret society, and membership is by invitation
> only.... ;)

WOW ,you guys have expensive taste's.

My season purchases have been the CZ cars(and beautiful they are),and the red sill Ace's.
Regards,DK

Date: 12/12/12 16:45
Author: CountryBoy

Hey I'll take that coal as long as it comes with a 1.6" scale live steamer!!

CB

Date: 12/12/12 17:04
Author: JLWII2000

As a present to myself, I decided to venture into the world of G scale. But just for a Christmas tree train:

Regards,
James Wright II
Omaha, Nebraska

Date: 12/12/12 17:04
Author: JLWII2000

And for some reason the set also comes with a very angry looking Santa figurine....

James Wright II
Omaha, Nebraska

Date: 12/12/12 17:13
Author: nikon1

Hopefully I'll be getting OMI's NS full dome 23 Delaware.
Charlie
MP 53 on the BNSF Topeka Sub

Current Page:1 of 3

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0932 seconds