Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Model Railroading > If you need an HO scale freight car: Zientek's in Chi

Date: 12/13/12 22:06
If you need an HO scale freight car: Zientek's in Chi
Author: inCHI

I had some less-than-satisfactory trips to some Chicago area hobby shops, owing to pricing and selection. I was stunned to find this place called Zientek's just blocks from where I work in Pilsen; I had ridden by it several times and never even noticed it. It has been mentioned on here before, but for those who don't know - the HO scale selection is massive. It is cash only, but you will find room upon room of HO scale freight cars at decently discounted prices. Imagine someones house, and every room is HO product: that is Zeintek's. I have found some cars in there that I know are difficult to find elsewhere, as they were released several years back. There is also a hefty stock of detail parts. In any case, definitely worth a look for anyone who visits Chicago, and from downtown, it is only a 20 min. ride on the Pink Line, which makes it far more accessible than any other shop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/12 22:06 by inRVA.

Date: 12/13/12 22:31
Re: If you need an HO scale freight car: Zientek's in C
Author: Clarence

Can you still get a beer there too?
Clarence

Date: 12/13/12 22:47
Author: Jeff_Johnston

Perhaps, post an address or some other contact information. Just a thought.

Jeff Johnston
www.trainvideosandparts.com

Date: 12/14/12 04:50
Author: AustralianTerrier

Zientek's Model Trains and Bar

2001 West 18th Street Chicago, IL 60608 312-226-9720

Date: 12/14/12 06:01

Clarence Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can you still get a beer there too?
> Clarence

I'm guessing no. I saw that people mentioned that in the past, but there is enough stuff (train stuff) on and around the bar that I don't think so.

Sorry for not posting the address, thanks for the one who did.

Date: 12/14/12 06:12
Author: sp8192

Great place! Bring your flashlight and be ready to dig through boxes and dust for lots of good stuff!

Date: 12/14/12 07:22
Author: atsfmodeler

Sounds great, but, its a long trip for an old guy in Kansas City, so guess I will have to pass.

Bob

Bob Miller
Kansas City, KS

Date: 12/14/12 07:33

To summarize: I mention this place because it has practically no web presence, but if you are in town, I would go there before several other shops (presuming you model HO)

Plus- he has a layout in the basement with handlaid track. In fact I usually have to wait a minute for him to come up from the layout room!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/12 07:34 by inRVA.

Date: 12/14/12 07:50
Author: DHarrison

John has retired from the bar business. A decade ago a major newspaper did a magazine article on the store entitled "A Little VO With Your HO" playing off the fact that a full size neighborhood corner liquor store shared the site with a model railroad shop. John however never went with the Horizon/Athearn changeover so no new Athearn product, but there's plenty of ole stuff.

David Harrison

Date: 12/14/12 09:30
Author: NWRailfan

Sounds exactly like PF&S for us guys in the PNW! That place is floor to ceiling with merchandise with everything thats hard to find or sold out else where

Date: 12/14/12 11:22
Author: ghemr

atsfmodeler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds great, but, its a long trip for an old guy
> in Kansas City, so guess I will have to pass.
>
> Bob

You'd better get here soon! Zientek's has a few dozen custom-painted blue/yellow Santa Fe locomotives----all are highly detailed!!

Date: 12/14/12 11:31
Author: bnsftcdiv

The bar is done, due to costly licenses....but Zientek's is a Chicago must see.
You'll find things that have been off the market for years.
No mail order or web, but that is part of the charm of the place.
Its an upstairs walkup apartment with multiple rooms, each has a category or a brand in it.
You can also railfan on the way and afterwards as the BNSF runs by, UP's Global hub is there
and the CSX has a line along with the EL on the Eisenhower on the way from the west and O'Hare

One of my favorite hobby shops to visit when I'm there

Dave Burman

Date: 12/14/12 11:33
Author: ghemr

Glad to hear you've discovered Zientek's! I've been a regular customer of his for 25+ years and he's been in business for almost 30! Indeed, lot's of hard-to-find out-of-production stuff as well as the newest products. His prices are quite reasonable and he is cash only. Furthermore, he is also a model railroader and knows about the products he sells, unlike some businesses that are clueless to the hobby.....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0412 seconds