Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Model Railroading > Automatic train running. is there anything out there

Date: 05/16/13 02:52
Automatic train running. is there anything out there
Author: mick7070

I have a triple track layout. I run DCC on the inner track, which hosts the "locals" switching the industries. The 2 other mainlines will feature unit train DC operations. All 3 mainlines do not have connections to each other. Is there anything available to operate automatic DC operations. I have a 2 road siding located in a staging yard for each of the 2 other mainlines. I want to run one train in a loop operation from the staging yard around to the front viewing side before returning to staging. Around 5 minutes later changing to the second train before returning to the first train. So something with a timer and be able to change switchs. Looks like I can do it in DCC with CML Electronics Shuttle Controller, but is the something available for DC.

Date: 05/16/13 05:58
Re: Automatic train running. is there anything out ther
Author: atsfmodeler

my first question would be "why?".

I run all DCC, but moved from DC to DCC and converted all units, quite a large number of them I might add. I really see little use for the aggregation of trying to run both. Decoders aren't really all that expensive anymore.

Bob

Bob Miller
Kansas City, KS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/13 06:00 by atsfmodeler.

Date: 05/16/13 09:16
Author: TCnR

There's a number of folks who consider automatic running to be a way to go, I'm not one of them. A friend has been looking for such automation to let a few trains run in a sequence while he's working on models or other futzing about. There has been discussion in older Layout wiring books, most folks still like a throttle in their hands though.

Date: 05/16/13 09:23
Author: bigmc83

Back in the day, people used to build automatic block systems (MR and other publications had articles of how to do this) One method I am familiar with is using stepper relays (commonly used in telephone applications). I do not know the inner workings, but I believe the principle was this: Build the layout and install electrical "blocks" as was usual. The only difference was instead of the operator having to manually turn blocks on and off, when the train would cross the gaps into the next block, the stepper motor would advance and engage the track power to where the train was.

Please correct me if I am wrong, or add more detail.

As I recall, the wiring for this method is pretty laborious, and as mentioned, DCC would save you a lot of time, and can be made to do similar things as what I said above.

Sean

Date: 05/16/13 11:47
Author: TomCarter

Mick, to get what you are looking for, have you considered converting the DC loops to DCC and using an old computer (laptop best for obvious reasons) to run a simple computer program to do this? It'd be the simplest way to get the train automation you're looking for, but would require decoders on your switch machines in the staging yard.

Date: 05/16/13 16:52
Author: brfriedm

Dalee Electronics makes what I think your looking for but to me, running the trains is the fun of having a layout. So why not bring out the first train and run it around in circles for a couple of hours and then put it back and take out another one?

or go DCC and automate it with JMRI.

http://www.dallee.com/signaling_equipment.htm

Bruce

Date: 05/16/13 17:42
Author: barrydraper

I have to agree with others, I build a model railroad so I can run trains. But in addition to Dallee look at http://www.cti-electronics.com/index.htm
CTI's Train Brain software can be used with either DCC or DC and can be programmed to do anything you want.

Barry Draper

Date: 05/16/13 21:05
Author: mongo

step switches have not been used in the telephone industry for over 20 years good luck finding any today

Mongo

Date: 05/16/13 21:14
Author: bnsfsd70

brfriedm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dalee Electronics makes what I think your looking
> for but to me, running the trains is the fun of
> having a layout. So why not bring out the first
> train and run it around in circles for a couple of
> hours and then put it back and take out another
> one?
>
> or go DCC and automate it with JMRI.
>
>
>
> Bruce

Thanks a lot for this link. They've got exactly the product that I need for a display layout that I'm building right now.

Thanks!
- Jeff Carlson

Date: 05/16/13 21:47
Author: mcdeo

The Greeley museum has an automation mode. NEC as the DCC controller. I don't know what they are using, but try contacting them to see.

www.gfsm.org/‎

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0578 seconds