Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Model Railroading > Georgia Road gets a Gaggle

Date: 07/16/13 05:40
Georgia Road gets a Gaggle
Author: georgiaroad

Thought I would post the first models of the first near complete models of Georgia Road locomotives. I have posted drawings for years, and have managed to work up quite a fleet of cars for the coming layout. Alas, getting locomotives was always on the "to do" list but never seemed to get much further than the kitbash to primer stage. My friend and fellow poster Anthony Lorch talked me out of decals over a year ago to do a Georgia Road SD40-2 Snoot nose, and in recent days volunteered to get some road power ready which we will swap when we meet to go to the Atlanta train show.

He did an awesome job on these units, and I am very excited about finally having some near completed models of typical manifest and intermodal power. Here is a sneak peak. His efforts have made me really take a hard look at building some finished layout as these units are begging to pull something besides a storage box.

A heartfelt thank you goes out to Anthony for his efforts, and to Jim Abbott at Highball Graphics for the decal sets. Sometimes you need a little encouragement and these beauties definitely have added a spark to my plans.

Georgia Road has taken a very long leap forward thanks to Anthony's tireless efforts on these units.

I am already working on the next step--laying track and running my first official train!

Thank you to all the posters here for the feedback, suggestions and the posts of their own work also. There is a lifetime of inspiration here and some very talented and great people here!

H in AL

Date: 07/16/13 05:41
Re: Georgia Road gets a Gaggle

And a SRCX Leasing unit...

Date: 07/16/13 05:53

For those who do not remember, here are some of the concepts I posted in the past

Date: 07/16/13 06:00

More to come very soon!

Thanks for taking a look!

H

Date: 07/16/13 07:27
Author: Poker2662

Very cool... No ideas for a nose logo? The front of these engines remind me of the red HLCX SD40's.

Date: 07/16/13 08:29
Author: gjc

Very impressive. Great job!

George Cataulin
San Diego, CA
Left Coast Rail Videos

Date: 07/16/13 09:03
Author: tracktime

Congratulations! Beautifully executed. The silver underframes and trucks are a great touch.

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 07/16/13 10:58
Author: lahogger

GREAT STUFF!! KEEP IT COMING! WE ALL ENJOY YOUR WORK

Date: 07/16/13 11:12
Author: oilcan

That is one sharp looking paint scheme and it looks great on those EMDs. Is someone currently building the AC4400B? That'll be sweet.

Date: 07/16/13 13:20
Author: NSDTK

Very Good looking models keep up the good work.

Date: 07/16/13 14:36

Poker2662 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very cool... No ideas for a nose logo? The front
> of these engines remind me of the red HLCX SD40's.

Busted---you got me there. That is exactly where the idea came from, the HLCX lease units. CSX had a bunch of blue ones down here and it just worked. Later repaints will have a nose logo with stylized wings. This will come with the merger of my deceased friends GAMS system into the Georgia Road. Think of the GARD logo on the cab side on the nose also with the lines like on this GAMS concept

Date: 07/16/13 17:20
Author: puddlejumper

I really like all of these except the paint scheme on the b unit. Any reason that it doesn't match the a units? the rest are awesome! Nicely done!

Date: 07/16/13 20:33

The scheme makes booster units easy to pick out in a crowd at the service facility.

The Georgia Road has a great many old ex NS former Southern high-hoods.... This one followed the specification that the red is always on the forward end of the unit.

Then you have to account for the Radio Control Cab units that make any train an R/C train. All the yellow signs warn that train may be operating unmanned and to stay clear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/13 20:35 by georgiaroad.

Date: 07/16/13 20:37

A couple of special schemes in the mix...an OLS and a Komen Cancer Awareness unit. Each OLS unit has a different slogan and the Komen unit is "Driven to Find a Cure" instead of the standard "Driven to Service" slogan. They shop boys call her "Ms. Pinky" for obvious reasons. She is a TGX Rebuild of a SD40T-2 in a one of a kind scheme. She is also set up as the power unit for the TARA-6 road slugs (TARA--Tractive Assist, Road Application, Six axle". A fellow on this group gave me the idea for that name when he asked a question about Gone With the Wind and the Georgia Road. I forget the exact conversation but it got me to thinking real hard. That always invites trouble down here on the Georgia Road!

"Ms. Pinky" is in the process of being kitbashed. Working out the rear truck is a hoot! I sure could use a power truck with inline mounted motors right now....hehehehe. currently the stardard Athearn truck is being reversed so the gear tower is closer to center of locomotive than rear. Might give me enough clearance, otherwise I will have to hobble her with a dummy rear truck. She is an odd bird with the reversed 60 series dynamics. I find it ironic that EMD is building something similar in its ECO line these days. My TGX drawings go back at least five years.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/13 20:55 by georgiaroad.

Date: 07/16/13 21:10

I almost forgot the MofW scheme (thanks CSX, my next to home prototype) Big bird is a T18C. This is a former Georgia Midland (my deceased friend's road). His idea was to use a 12 cylinder FDL in a old six axle U boat to create a transfer unit. While Georgia Road prefers more traditional SD38 units or a brace of switchers or slug sets, these nearly newly rebuild units were just what the capital MofW trains needed to cruise the Georgia Road GPS controlled ballast trains, and haul the MofW equipment to and from job sites.

I have took up enough bandwidth for this round. Thank you all for your comments, challenges and suggestions.

Date: 07/17/13 03:47
Author: acltrainman

Really a true to life looking scheme. You do excellent work, keep it coming, I enjoy your efforts.
Stan

Date: 07/17/13 05:02
Author: mgwsy1978

Very nice looking units.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0771 seconds