Home Open Account Help 181 users online

Model Railroading > N scale wheels

Date: 10/13/13 12:02
N scale wheels
Author: 6ET

Well I have been away from N scale doing HO for about 15 years or more now, and I am deciding to get back into N scale due to space limitations. My one question is, what are some good quality metal wheels for N scale? Seems like micro trains is big on plastic wheels. When I left N scale, almost all Atlas cars had metal wheels right out of the box.

Date: 10/13/13 12:20
Re: N scale wheels
Author: ESPEE5318

fox valley models

Metal wheels in N-scale were crap so most used Micro trains low profile, when fox valley models come out with theirs they set a new standard in N-scale wheels.

Date: 10/13/13 13:02
Author: goneon66

I have a large n-scale layout and all of my rolling stock has plastic wheels. what would be the advantage of me replacing ALL of my plastic wheels with metal wheels??

Date: 10/13/13 13:43
Author: ESPEE5318

The biggest advantage is the don't track and pick up dirt like the plastic wheels. Years ago when I was in N-scale Micro trains low pro was standard and metal wheels were considered crude, when I switched to HO metal wheels were standard and the biggest thing I noticed was they don't track and pick up dirt. The FVM wheels also look much nicer than the MT wheels.

Date: 10/13/13 16:54
Author: funnelfan

Seems like N scale is finally moving away from some things that always held it back, like pizza cutter wheels on talgo trucks made so popular by MT. Body mounted couplers would go a long ways toward allowing more reliable switching of long cuts of cars. I participated in operations of some well known N scale layouts, but derailments were frequent due to talgo trucks IMHO. That is why I've stayed with HO despite a brief move to N scale years ago.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 10/13/13 20:34
Author: RyanWilkerson

Fox Valley Models makes convenient 100 packs of 28", 33" and 36" metal wheels. Since N scale manufacturers haven't standardized the axle length, FVM does offer a few different sizes to work with existing trucks.

BLMA makes very nice metal wheels too, including back detail. You can get them in 24 and 192 packs. http://www.blmamodels.com/cgi-bin/webstore/shop.cgi?ud=CAUEDA0ABwMCBxQUEBEcHAMABAAHAAcECQkTEQAA&storeid=1&searchtext=axles&cols=1&&c=detail.htm&t=main.htm&itemid=9815BULK

The last few freight cars I've done, I've used the excellent BLMA 100-ton trucks that include their metals wheels. Then body mounted MTL couplers. The BLMA trucks allow the car to sit at a lower, and more prototypical, height. I love the look of the cars with the BLMAs.

I think FVM sells a sample pack with various sizes so you can try them. Find one of those and maybe get some of the BLMAs and try them out.

Ryan Wilkerson
Fair Oaks, CA

Date: 10/13/13 20:35
Author: up833

I have been in N for many years. You suffer with what you build and buy. Good track will allow good running trains..forward or backward. Make your turnouts as large as possible; like #7 and #10 or make your own Fastracks. Like the real deal you do have to watch car placement. You might not be able to push back 25 boxcars with a flatcar next to the loco. MT isnt using pizza cutters on any of the new cars I have purchased recently. None of the other car mfgs do either. Some of the first widely available low profile metal wheels also had a narrow tread (always striving to be more proto right?)that led to derailments, especially at turnouts. As others tout Fox Valley they may have fixed that problem. I havent tried them yet. Plastic wheels do just fine if you keep the track and layout as dust free as possible.

Date: 10/13/13 20:57
Author: unclebob

I'll throw my 2 pennies in the ring:

The BLMA cars that I have purchased roll very well compared to anything else I own. I would for sure look at their wheels.

Mike

Date: 10/14/13 03:10
Author: BrianK

Fox Valley came out with a wide version of their metal wheels to help with the track that is prone to shift or be outside of exact tolerances (thinking N-Trak modules that constantly move). They still make the narrow, scale versions so you now have a choice.

BLW N Scale does a good job laying out the differences on their website.

The biggest knock on FVM seems to be the availability of the wheels. As soon as they get new shipments, they go flying out the door...Matt may have fixed the supply and demand portion since I left N Scale for HO two years ago though.

http://www.brooklynlocomotiveworks.com/fvm-wheelsets.htm

Brian

Date: 10/14/13 08:23
Author: goneon66

up833 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have been in N for many years. You suffer with
> what you build and buy. Good track will allow
> good running trains..forward or backward. Make
> your turnouts as large as possible; like #7 and
> #10 or make your own Fastracks. Like the real deal
> you do have to watch car placement. You might not
> be able to push back 25 boxcars with a flatcar
> next to the loco. MT isnt using pizza cutters on
> any of the new cars I have purchased recently.
> None of the other car mfgs do either. Some of the
> first widely available low profile metal wheels
> also had a narrow tread (always striving to be
> more proto right?)that led to derailments,
> especially at turnouts. As others tout Fox Valley
> they may have fixed that problem. I havent tried
> them yet. Plastic wheels do just fine if you keep
> the track and layout as dust free as possible.

exactly. i have a 9'x19' kato unitrak n-scale layout with #6 turnouts and a minimum radius of 19". my rolling stock is all MT'd with NO body mount couplers and ALL plastic wheels.

i run 60 car trains with BOTH swing and rear POWERED dpu's with very few problems. i just ran my 23 car local in reverse through the 19" curves and the turnouts into the yard without derailing (with a brass caboose leading the shove). i have shoved longer cuts of cars into my industries without derailments too..........

Date: 10/14/13 08:59
Author: mgwsy1978

Here is a picture of Fox Valley wheels on an Atlas car.

Date: 10/15/13 16:40
Author: Big_Blue_mac_attack

I will say this, if there are any flaws at all in your track work metal wheels will help you find them!! I have noticed they make a bit more noise than plastic but are worth it.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0764 seconds