Home Open Account Help 350 users online

Model Railroading > MU-ing different brands of locomotives?

Date: 12/10/13 13:33
MU-ing different brands of locomotives?
Author: railfan400

Is MU-ing DCC locomotives from different manufactures a bad idea? I was told at a local HO club that they should be of same make.

Date: 12/10/13 14:17
Re: MU-ing different brands of locomotives?
Author: J.Ferris

railfan400 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is MU-ing DCC locomotives from different
> manufactures a bad idea? I was told at a local HO
> club that they should be of same make.

railfan,

In a word no. One of the advantages of DCC is that you can "speed match" locomotives. Shouldn't matter what manufacturer of loco or maker of DCC decoder.

J.

Date: 12/10/13 14:19
Author: grahamline

For best results in MU'ing model locomotives, you will want to explore DecoderPro3 at http://jmri.sourceforge.net/help/en/manual/DP3_2-14_manual/Start_DCC_Systems.shtml

Free software (a donation is nice) which works with most DCC systems. They will tell you which.

Date: 12/10/13 15:10
Author: RioGrandeFan

Date: 12/10/13 17:13
Author: jobrazy

Lee - nice explanation. I struggle with this alot. I am able to do it, but your expertise will help.

Thank you!

J

Joel Brazy
Coatesville, PA

Date: 12/10/13 18:37
Author: railfan400

Thanks for some very useful information. I'll have to give speed matching a try. Am fairly new to DCC so wanted to make sure I don't screw up too badly.

Date: 12/10/13 21:27
Author: tracktime

Sounds good. Any good suggestions for a good speedometer "tunnel" measuring device for HO? Any brand to avoid?

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 12/11/13 04:47
Author: BrianK

tracktime Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds good. Any good suggestions for a good
> speedometer "tunnel" measuring device for HO? Any
> brand to avoid?
>
> Cheers,
> Harry

Hi Harry,

I've been using the Model Railroad Technologies Accutrack Speedomoeter tunnel and it has worked out perfectly. It changes between HO and N scale with a flip of a switch, which is perfect since I work in both scales. I couldn't find a website for MRT, so Litchfield Station's page for it will have to do...

http://www.litchfieldstation.com/xcart/product.php?productid=999007701

Cheers,
Brian

Date: 12/12/13 08:52
Author: RioGrandeFan

Yes the Model Railroad Technologies Accutrack Speedomoeter tunnel is the one I use as well!

I've also been experimenting with the Bachrus Speedometer as it is intended to work with the locomotive stationary on rollers. It works ok but I've noticed an issue where the roller wheel that senses the speed does not turn free and sometimes the locomotive wheels simply spin against it rather than make it spin. A couple drops of oil tends to help but I'm still not convinced I'm getting consistent results. More experimenting is needed with it.

So far the speed tunnel seems to be the most accurate way to measure speed. It does take a decent run of track to measure the higher speeds though which makes the Bachrus an attractive option.

Also, if you intend to operate locomotives in reverse in a specific consist, it helps to speed match those in reverse. You'll be close if you do them all in forward and later choose to run one in reverse but a lot of locomotives run differently in forward vs backwards.

If locomotives are intended to be used as DPU units in the middle or on the rear of a train, I've found that making them ever so slightly slower than the lead units helps to ensure your train won't get pushed off of the tracks! You always want your trains to be pulled more than they are pushed.

I have my speed chart available if anyone wants a copy. It works well and of course can be modified to suit your needs. It helps greatly to have a starting point.

Lee Ryan - Rio Grande Fan
Denver, CO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0645 seconds