Home Open Account Help 227 users online

Model Railroading > Kato new HO Amtrak P42 driving trucks to old Athearn GP

Date: 12/29/13 07:47
Kato new HO Amtrak P42 driving trucks to old Athearn GP
Author: BN7023

Kato-USA was announced for their P42 models as follows.

Brand new coreless truck-motor drive paired with a super-heavy solid metal body mechanism; doubling the number of motors while increasing the traction potential and weight for new standard of running smoothness and pulling power.

http://www.katousa.com/HO/P42/index.html

The model has two motor-trucks with a coreless motor, two flywheels and two double-thread worm gears. It must have run very smoothly. The smoothness should not that we have experienced. And, the trucks are sold separately.
Then, I came up with an idea. Trucks of old Athearn GPs can be exchanged for these. They have both 9 ft. wheelbase and 40 in. wheel dia.
But, a disorder is cost. The price of two trucks is $100. And since not been released here in Japan, expensive overseas shipping charges will be taken.

I want you to let the thought of you.

Kotaro Kuriu
Kyoto, Japan

Date: 12/29/13 08:22
Re: Kato new HO Amtrak P42 driving trucks to old Athear
Author: fbe

It looks like there will need to be a complete rebuild of the body bolsters of any current locomotive you want to apply these to.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 12/29/13 08:52
Re: Kato new HO Amtrak P42 driving trucks to old Athear
Author: TCnR

Checked out the Kato Video but still don't see how DCC would be wired to the motor. I see the two contacts on each side, the disassembly in the Video shows some circuitry but not sure which way it's going, just lights or DCC, etc. Nice looking machinery, nice idea about rebuilding older shells with this,

Date: 12/29/13 09:20
Re: Kato new HO Amtrak P42 driving trucks to old At hea
Author: gemcohauler

Out of the package they were NOT designed as DCC Friendly. This has been covered here on T/O and other forums and all over the model press.

Since the first batch (Marked NON-DCC) came out Kato and SoundTraxx has worked extensively to post information on how to convert these locomotives to DCC. SoundTraxx just released a NEW DCC/Sound Decoder for this model. My dealer has them in stock.

Kato also has KOBO models of all the P42 which you have your choice of Factory Installed ESU Lok Sound or SoundTraxx DCC & Sound.

Soundtraxx has a video showing what is required to install the decoder and a parts list of what you will need. Both Kato and SoundTraxx label this as a "Non-Beginners" project. Soundtraxx on their site indicates it a 3-4 hour project for an experience modeler.

For you suggested use and as another posted pointed out, putting these in anything else, would require extensive modifications to the frames, and a new lighting system to work with SoundTraxx's decoder or a shell modification making a light pipe system that could work with the lighting on the SoundTraxx board.

These drives draw more current so not any decoder will do. There have also been reports on-line of the drives burning out (not a warranty item) but more information covered on other decoders burning up in under 30 seconds.

I was in my local HS when these first came out, and a customer had one he had brought into the shop for help with and had 2 fried Digitrax decoders that he had tried to us. The shop explained to him what they knew up to that point (lots more info now) which was not what this customer wanted to hear. Of course he did not purchase them locally and never asked if they would work the way he thought they should.

Also Kato has been successfully using (as mentioned on their site) these drive in Japanese locomotives for awhile. This was only the first model they used them on in the US Market. They also have said they will be used on other US HO Scale locomotives down the road.

Tony R.

Date: 12/29/13 10:32
Author: MojaveBill

I have been wishing for years that someone would do something like this (in a workable fashion) for those of us who like to kitbash! I'm in N scale so it will probably never happen, but it would really be a big boost to the hobby...

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 12/29/13 10:41
Author: JoppaSub

I could see these being extremely useful for GP15-1's or SD40T-2's; SD45T-2's. etc., where you can have a "true" see-through intake radiator screen...not to mention leaving the middle of the locomotive open for more weight and a larger speaker system with more bass and a more prototypical sound reproduction...than the current "tinny" speakers of today.

Pretty neat design.

Thomas Austin
Centralia, IL
Joppa Sub Layout Site

Date: 12/29/13 11:59

I think the idea has potential. I see no reason there cannot be 4 plugs on each truck for a red, black, orange and grey wire. These could have a dummy plug for DC and a decoder connector for DCC. There needs to be a way to differentiate the rear and front truck so they work together.

Date: 12/29/13 13:28
Author: TCnR

Somebody made a similar powered truck a couple of decades ago, maybe it was NWSL. It may be interesting to note how those worked out.

Agree that they should be able to build in more contacts or clips of some sort to allow DCC. Should work better than my soldering.

-------------------------------------------------------
> I could see these being extremely useful for
> GP15-1's or SD40T-2's; SD45T-2's. etc., where you
> can have a "true" see-through intake radiator
> screen...

Date: 12/29/13 13:50
Author: ATSF3751

If it can take up to 4 hours for an experienced modeler to install a sound unit...then this is actually a step backwards.....way backwards.

Date: 12/29/13 15:48

Northwest Shortline makes a very professional version of a truck powered module in their Stanton drive. It comes with connections for DCC and a variety of wheelbase lengths. These sell for $84.45 powered and $44.45 dummy. I don't think you are likely to smoke these.

http://nwsl.com/uploads/chap2_web_10-29.pdf

Scroll down the .pdf to the Stanton drive section for specs and photos. Note, three axle units will follow for things like Tunnel Motors.

Mounting these units to the frame will be simpler than the KATO drives with just a hole for a 4mm screw. It should be easy to shim to the proper body height. I have used one of the original NWSL PDT drives to power an Athearn RDC and it has worked well for decades.

I suppose the motors are imported but the rest of the drive components are made in Stevensville, Montana, USA.

So for all of you who have been asking for it, your wish has been answered, now support it. No, I have no financial or professional interest in this company.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/13 17:08 by fbe.

Date: 12/29/13 16:38
Author: KA7008

JoppaSub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I could see these being extremely useful for
> GP15-1's or SD40T-2's; SD45T-2's. etc., where you
> can have a "true" see-through intake radiator
> screen...

I'm not so sure. I think the motor assembly would be level with the intake screens (up higher than the frame).

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0764 seconds