Home Open Account Help 288 users online

Model Railroading > A-Line Gunderson Double Stack Cars

Date: 01/05/14 05:14
A-Line Gunderson Double Stack Cars
Author: soo6020

I’m putting together a few A-line Gunderson double stack kits. Would like to super detail the braking system. Can anyone tell me where I can find photos of the brake detail between the articulated units?

Thanks for the help
Gerry Miller

Date: 01/05/14 06:20
Re: A-Line Gunderson Double Stack Cars
Author: cslemp

Hi Gerry,

I'm working on the same project, though it's been on hold for awhile while I work on other things. I never was able to find really good photo's of the brake pipe layout and other details between the cars, but I think I've managed a decent approximation using the instructions A-Line provides in their option detail pack as well as a series of articles by Jim Mansfield that appeared in Model Railroading starting in August 1992.

This is the only photo I currently have of my project: http://milepost15.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/twin-stack.jpg

PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you some better photo's of the ends of the car.

- Chris
milepost15.wordpress.com

Date: 01/05/14 08:07
Author: electromac

Very nice

Date: 01/05/14 08:46
Author: SPDRGWfan

Looks good! I had a 5 car set in kit form which the main superstructures were assembled but it was a project I never got around to completing. When Intermountain offered their assembled version of the Twin Stack cars about 7 or so years ago, I picked up a couple sets of the red Sealand cars and a set of the yellow TT Southern Pacific and sold the kits. I wanted a few because the D&RGW began hauling them in Oct 1988 over Tennessee Pass.

Keep us updated with photo's!

Date: 01/05/14 10:07
Author: Stottman

Well, you are in luck. Sort of. :)

I took pics of a 5 car set back in 1994. They were taken on ISO400 film, and so dont scan very well.

I have put the actual cars in order. I did take pics of the connections between the cars as well.

Car A is the end car with the brake wheel. Car F is the opposite end.

First two pics are Car A from both directions.

Third is Car B.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/14 10:22 by Stottman.

Date: 01/05/14 10:08

Taken in SP's yard in San Jose/Santa Clara... The good old days.

Car B and Car C from both directions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/14 10:23 by Stottman.

Date: 01/05/14 10:10

More to follow

Car D and one pic of Car F.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/14 10:24 by Stottman.

Date: 01/05/14 10:14

Car F, and the end platform for F.

3rd photo is F to D.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/14 10:24 by Stottman.

Date: 01/05/14 10:16

1st Photo is D to C

2nd is C to B

3rd is B to A

Back then, I would wander all over the SP ROW and yards.. They never gave me any trouble..

Date: 01/05/14 11:34
Author: RichM

Thanks!

I too have the A-Line kits about 1/3 completed and subsequently buried. But I didn't sell mine (yet). Good to have the reference photos!

Date: 01/05/14 13:26
Author: rschonfelder

I always thought B was the brake wheel, A was the other end, and then C, D, E in between. What's this about unit F as it is a five car set?

Rick

Date: 01/05/14 13:30
Author: SP_8299

rschonfelder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I always thought B was the brake wheel, A was the
> other end, and then C, D, E in between. What's
> this about unit F as it is a five car set?
>
> Rick

No, you're correct; all freight cars and cabooses have an A-end and a B-end, and for consistency's sake, 5-unit articulated cars have their platforms designated B-C-D-E-A. Nonetheless, excellent pics from Stottman. Tempted to dig out one of mine that I started awhile back.

Date: 01/05/14 15:20
Author: neilgross

Count me among those who have half-completed A-Line kits. The cars that Southern Pacific acquired second-hand were among my favorites and I have a bunch of photos of them. I noticed that sometime in the last decade the cars were modified from their original configuration with the handbrakes on the B and C cars to having handbrakes on the A and B cars. That means that some of the piping was removed from the C car and a brake wheel and some piping were added to the A car. If you build the car according to the A-Line superdetail kit, you will get the "old" version of the brake setup.

I always thought the Maxi-I was basically a Twin Stack without bulkheads, so I wonder if you could use an Athearn Maxi-I as a guide for mounting the gear at the articulation points? I wonder if you could even use some of Athearn Maxi-I parts in place of the cruder A-Line parts?

Date: 01/05/14 15:59
Author: BN_FAN

Some shots of a BN car here which may be of interest:

http://www.trainweb.org/nwrp/bn/bn63951data.htm

Doug Stark

Date: 01/07/14 02:57
Author: soo6020

Thanks for all the information. Been a great help

Gerry

Date: 01/07/14 03:32
Author: cslemp

Since it sounds like there are a few other people who are working on these cars and might be interested, here are the other photo's I took of my project. This platform is almost ready for paint, I have the others assembled, but they need details.

- Chris
milepost15.wordpress.com

[ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0798 seconds