Home Open Account Help 358 users online

Model Railroading > Old PC&F Boxcar still around

Date: 01/05/14 02:35
Old PC&F Boxcar still around
Author: funnelfan

I thought these old PC&F boxcars had been pulled from service by now due to age. So I was surprised to see one in service, let along still in WC paint and markings (first that I've seen of the WC version of this car).

The Exactrail version of the car is a bit more tempting now.

https://www.exactrail.com/pc-f-6033-cu-ft-hy-cube-box-car-wc-1780

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 01/05/14 02:46
Re: Old PC&F Boxcar still around
Author: fbe

You got the "class" car. Someone with access to a current equipment register could tell us how many are still in service on the CN.

There are some underframe upgrades which can be done to rail cars to extend the life of these cars beyond the 40 yr FRA interchange life.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 01/05/14 06:34
Author: DrLoco

IN this case it would be covered by the door or graffiti, but the underframe and sill upgrades usually end up getting the car a stencil like "10-yr service life extension modification" over by the lube stencil info. I have seen several 60's era coil steel cars with these stencils on them.

Date: 01/05/14 09:36
Author: Stottman

Seen them in UP paint in the last couple years as well.

Date: 01/05/14 09:40
Author: nathan314

CSX's UMLER listing shows 41 cars still listed in the WC 29000-29049 series.

Nathan Beauheim
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 01/05/14 15:28
Author: neilgross

The SIRX PCF 6033 cars have been regulars on the Roseville - San Jose area trains for years. The SIRX cars are former Southern Pacific cars acquired by Southern Illinois Railcar by way of the Alaska Railroad. A few years ago, I photographed SIRX 100113 on a San Jose (actually Newark) to Roseville train, then about a week later went to the LHS and bought an ExactRail model of the same car.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.038 seconds