Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Model Railroading > Rockin' along jointed rail

Date: 04/11/14 13:36
Rockin' along jointed rail
Author: inCHI

My layout is a portable loop in my apartment living room that I built quickly so I could run trains off of an initial switching-layout portion. I made most of the loop simulated jointed rail to try and replicate the look and also the effect of rocking cars.

A particular inspiration for that was CSX's Bellwood Subdivision in and around Richmond, VA. It is the ex-SAL, a secondary mainline, and as far as I know is still jointed rail. A neat train, to me, was the daily turn to the chemical facilities in Hopewell, VA. That train largely carries tank cars of awful stuff and a lot of old CSX hoppers with some commodity that I'm unaware of. The video at bottom shows the train in 2008 bouncing around on its way to Hopewell.

The video of my layout shows a replica with the closest cars I could find and a CN unit pinch-hitting for something CSX. Most of the track is micro engineering Code 70, and simulated dips where tapped in place every scale 40 feet. The effect isn't perfect, but it works for me.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 04/11/14 14:32
Re: Rockin' along jointed rail
Author: iaisfan

Nice work. Really excellent job of weathering that GE too!

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA
www.iaisrailfans.org/../Sub4WestEnd

Date: 04/11/14 16:11
Author: hartrick24

I agree with Joe's comment. The track reminds me of the track from years ago in my home town of Trenton Mi. It was welded rail and beat up... Steve (UP6553)

Date: 04/11/14 18:46
Author: PHall

My only comment is that you're running too fast on most of those runbys.
Track in that condition would probably be good for 10 MPH, 20 if the roadmaster was in a good mood.

Date: 04/11/14 19:36
Author: spnudge

At work, it was either 12 mph or 18 mph on those type of tracks. It was because the 39' rail sections would set up harmonics right at 15 mph.

As a fireman, that was one of the first things a hoghead would tell you if let you run.

Nudge

Date: 04/11/14 20:17

I was trying to approximate 25mph, which is what I think the speed is in the real video I included.

Date: 04/11/14 20:22
Author: ParktonKY

Great Job! Looks like some of the real stuff you see on YOU TUBE>

Date: 04/11/14 21:28
Author: ChrisCampi

Nice. Boy, all those suspensions are sure getting a workout!

Chris

Date: 04/11/14 22:27
Author: PHall

inCHI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was trying to approximate 25mph, which is what I
> think the speed is in the real video I included.

Your track has some pretty good dips at those low joints. If it was "real" it would probably be FRA Exempted track.
Plus the trains just look better moving slower. Gives you time to admire your handywork!

Date: 04/12/14 06:07
Author: Parthia27

Any chance of a track plan and dimensions, impressed with what you have done.

Date: 04/12/14 08:15

Parthia27 Wrote:
> Any chance of a track plan and dimensions,
> impressed with what you have done.

Thanks. The track plan is so simple that I'll probably just post a photo showing the whole layout instead when I get a chance.

Date: 04/12/14 09:18
Author: Parthia27

Thanks, I would really appreciate that. My permanent switching layout is located in a footprint of 8x1 but I do have the option of adding temporary boards to make a complete loop hence my question on dimensions and layout plan. I have no desire to run long mainline trains but having something that equates to a secondary branch with minimal scenery that can be erected quickly and bolted onto the permanent layout, then broken down and stored when not in use is very appealing.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/12/14 09:23

Parthia27 Wrote:
> Thanks, I would really appreciate that. My
> permanent switching layout is located in a
> footprint of 8x1 but I do have the option of
> adding temporary boards to make a complete loop
> hence my question on dimensions and layout plan. I
> have no desire to run long mainline trains but
> having something that equates to a secondary
> branch with minimal scenery that can be erected
> quickly and bolted onto the permanent layout, then
> broken down and stored when not in use is very
> appealing.
>
> Posted from iPhone

That is pretty close to what I needed, so I'll make sure to show how it is portable when I post it.

Date: 04/15/14 10:26
Author: P

Very nice!

In the prototype video, it appears that some of those cars are dangerously close to tipping over!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0425 seconds