Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Model Railroading > An apartment sized layout (overview)

Date: 04/13/14 17:20
An apartment sized layout (overview)
Author: inCHI

A few people have asked to see the full layout that I've been posted pics/videos from. I'll start with the overall view, then explain in the next couple photos how it got to where it is and what the (very simple) trackplan is.

The layout is freelance modern HO, where the need for simplicity in scenery makes it generically midwest. That said, there are some B&O CPL's, and I've got more CSX engines and equipment than anything.

The room is probably 16 x 14 feet or so - a living room in a 1 bedroom apartment.

All portions of the layout are portable. It began as a yard/switching layout on a bookshelf, and then I added a loop. Everything is freestanding, not anchored to the wall.

The "main" is a mix of code 83 and code 70, while all yard track and sidings are code 70. Some is handlaid, some is flex track.

Date: 04/13/14 17:24
Re: An apartment sized layout (overview)

4-6 - The layout began as this yard/switching layout on top of bookshelves. I originally thought it would be 2 levels, but decided that instead I could build the portable loop. I had to add two switches off of the outside track and create a structure to support the bridges. The constraints of the room, portability, and efficient use of what wood I had made me choose to make bridges that require a leg under them for support.

The yard is removable, though heavy. It only fits maybe 25 cars. The original track plan before the loop is posted under it.

Date: 04/13/14 17:26

Lastly, the freestanding sections are held together based on free-mo standards that some on here recommended. They have small plywood ends that can be clamped together, and for now, just simple wire connections. The bridge connection is something simple too.

Date: 04/13/14 17:35
Author: prr4828

Neat idea. Looking to build something similar where I live. Does the layout move much? Any issues with it not being anchored to the wall?

Does the cat tower keep kitty off the layout?

Nice touch using CPL's. My future layout will have them ... and the C.Z. too!

* JB *

Date: 04/13/14 17:40
Author: calsubd

I like it, What type hinge am I looking at (90 degree locking), I've never seen that kind, thanks for posting

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 04/13/14 17:41
Author: PHall

Love the feline "Yard Master" and it's yard tower! ;^)

Date: 04/13/14 18:11

prr4828 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Neat idea. Looking to build something similar
> where I live. Does the layout move much? Any
> issues with it not being anchored to the wall?

It does move a bit, but not as a result of a train in motion (even if I have a 30 car train, half the layout, it doesn't affect stability. Usually when I set up the bridges I have to slightly adjust the position of freestanding parts to get everything snug, but I also don't use any sort of clamp or locking mechanism to hold the bridge in place. Also, each leg of the freestanding parts has feet that can be leveled to match my highly uneven floor.

>
> Does the cat tower keep kitty off the layout?

She is a curious cat but luckily she has no interest in getting on the layout! (Unlike other cats I've known)

calsubd Wrote:
> What type hinge am I looking at (90
> degree locking), I've never seen that kind, thanks
> for posting

It's called a "folding leg bracket", I got them at Lee Valley Hardware. They are stable enough when two are used. To save space the boards are only 6 or 8 inches wide, which reduces stability somewhat, but once everything is joint together it doesn't move that much (unless I run into it...)

Date: 04/13/14 20:25
Author: Shogun

Bet it's a big hit with the ladies....LOL...oh wait...

Date: 04/13/14 20:45
Author: NYSW1904

Looks awesome! Only critique is the cat is out of scale. Seriously, great stuff.

Date: 04/13/14 20:47
Author: NYSW1904

Oh yeah, one other question, are those CPLs NJ Int'l? They look really nice.

Date: 04/13/14 21:06

NYSW1904 Wrote:
> Oh yeah, one other question, are those CPLs NJ
> Int'l? They look really nice.

Tomar. I heard NJ were a bit too large scale-wise.

Date: 04/13/14 22:29
Author: Parthia27

Many thanks for taking the time to post this, very impressive. Luv the cat tree btw.

Chris

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/15/14 11:04
Author: wabash2800

Kitty doesn't look happy.

Date: 04/15/14 21:27
Author: SantaFeRuss

What a blast! Really cool.

SantaFeRuss

Date: 04/16/14 20:16
Author: 90mac

I like it!
How do you keep Kitty off the ROW?
Tom

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.046 seconds