Home Open Account Help 391 users online

Model Railroading > It's a Monster!!!

Date: 04/13/14 18:09
It's a Monster!!!
Author: wheel_slip

While taking a couple pictures for the "Switcher Sunday" thread below, I heard there was a special visitor roaming the High Desert. Of course the local fan was on top of the action, as he was in his usual spot to catch UP 6936 the sole remaining (kind of) DDA40X powering the stacks by the depot. This monster appears from time to time on freight trains when the railroad is power short and when it does, it's usually on the high priority stack trains... ;)

Andy

Date: 04/14/14 05:05
Re: It's a Monster!!!
Author: brfriedm

Looking good. Bring that by sometime. love to run it on my layout for abit. Nice. Bruce

Date: 04/14/14 06:29
Author: P5r24

Big Jack.

They were awsome to see in person grinding up Cajon.

Great looking view,

Gary

Date: 04/16/14 09:00
Author: brfriedm

Hey Andy,

Quick question. Do those Athearn units have 2 motors or 1? Are all 4 axles powered per truck or are some idlers? How do they pull?

Just curious. Never seen one on the inside.

Bruce

Date: 04/16/14 11:29

Hey Bruce,
These are beasts. Two motors, each truck powered separately, but wired together. It also requires two decoders. Yes, all the wheels are powered. They run very well, even or rather tight curves, although they will lift some equipment off the rails on the real tight curves. They will easily pull what two normal 6 axles will pull.

One would be right at home on your layout... Really... ;)

Andy

Date: 04/16/14 12:03
Author: jridge

What's the minimum track radius this beast can handle?

Date: 04/16/14 17:27

jridge Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's the minimum track radius this beast can
> handle?

I would guess 22 if I had to put a number on it. Like I said above, it can go around very sharp curves, just not with anything coupled to it.

Andy

Date: 04/17/14 19:47
Author: Arved

P5r24 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Big Jack.
>
> They were awsome to see in person grinding up
> Cajon.

Been there, done that. Pacing 6922 along San Leandro Blvd between Oakland and Hayward while the WP was still the WP was, somehow, even more impressive. Harry (Tracktime) was with me that fateful Friday night.

Shortly thereafter, she crapped a turbo and was sidelined for good. I think part of the experience was the awesome sound from what was eventually that failed turbo.

These were always impressive coming down the street running on Jack London Square.

On Cajon, they were almost too "at home." I was more interested in the GP40Xs and CNW pool GP50s I'd usually see them with up there.

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0426 seconds