Home Open Account Help 272 users online

Model Railroading > Kato SD40-2 update

Date: 04/15/14 18:38
Kato SD40-2 update
Author: moose

Last week I posted a query regarding electrical pickup issues with a Kato SD40-2, receiving many excellent suggestions and great information. I ordered the 'hard-wire kits,' part #968001, and received them yesterday. I had expected only the copper contact strips with wires attached, but the kits include the center truck frame, gears and all, less wheels, axles and sideframes, all for ten bucks. The website indicates '2' parts, so I figured that meant two contacts, so I ordered four sets, enough to do both my units. Actually, each set includes two center assemblies and four contact strips, so I now have enough to do two more SD40-2s if I run across any in the future.
Thanks again for all the comments and advice from everyone who answered my question.

Date: 04/15/14 19:58
Re: Kato SD40-2 update
Author: Jimmies

Oh, you'll run into them alright. Seems to be lots of folks out there that get frustrated (understandably so) that the used Kato that they just bought doesn't run right and they don't know why. Many people don't know how to fix the problem, or just don't have the ability to do so, so they re-sell them. I hope your repairs are successful for you and your engine runs like a charm.

Jim

Date: 04/16/14 16:14
Author: UP2010

Your e-mail prompted me to finally get around to doing something with the two 968001 parts kits that I had ordered quite some time ago. I have two SD40-2's ready for a test run at our next running day. I soldered the pickup wires to ensure a good reliable connection. Looking forward to improved running.

Barry....

Date: 04/17/14 05:13
Author: navarch1

You folks cleaned out Kato's stock of the refit kits...lol... :)

Bob

Date: 04/17/14 07:36
Author: moose

UP2010 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Your e-mail prompted me to finally get around to
> doing something with the two 968001 parts kits
> that I had ordered quite some time ago. I have
> two SD40-2's ready for a test run at our next
> running day. I soldered the pickup wires to
> ensure a good reliable connection. Looking
> forward to improved running.
>
> Barry....

Yep, I soldered the wires also. The press-fit connectors didn't seem likely to stay on very long. All in all, the Duford Models instructions appear to be about the same amount of work.

The Kato Parts Dept assured me THEY had sufficient quantities of the #968001 kit, but that may just have been enough to fill my order. Worth an email if you want to get some from them, as I did after navarch1 posted his original comment that the parts were not in stock at Kato.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0352 seconds