Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Model Railroading > NCE DASR decoder help

Date: 04/16/14 11:03
NCE DASR decoder help
Author: kdrtrains

Greetings
I have recently install a new DASR decoder in place of the original decoder in an Intermountain ES44DC and programmed it with the LEDs with no problem. The unit ran and performed like it should.

The owner did some speed step work and now the unit will not not operate above speed step 15. The decoder will not read back any of the CVs including the decoder manufacturer and version.

I have tried to reprogram the unit including resetting CV 30 to 2 but nothing I do will change the operation. The unit answers to it's address and moves forward and reverse until throttle 16 is reached and then stops.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Ken Rhoads

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/14 14:23 by kdrtrains.

Date: 04/16/14 11:39
Re: NCE DASR decoder help

Thanks, I have done both cv 15 and 16 to 0 and then 1 on both the programming track and programming on the main with no change. It is like the decoder is locked and can not be unlocked.

KR

Date: 04/16/14 12:56
Author: RioGrandeFan

In reading your original post it sounds like you may be confusing a few things.

First I assume that your locomotive is made by Athearn as Atlas does not produce ES44DC models. Then again it could be an InterMountain model as Athearn doesn't use LEDs and you mention LEDs.

Anyway, beyond that you mention that you installed an NCE DASR decoder but tried CV 30 to 2 to reset the decoder. Well CV 30 to 2 is the SoundTraxx reset CV sequence and ONLY SoundTraxx uses CV 30 to 2 for a reset. The NCE DASR is CV 8 to 8 to reset the decoder back to defaults (including the address back to 3).

Now if this is an InterMountain unit (sound or non-sound) these already have a decoder installed. Older units have SoundTraxx sound and non-sound decoders and the new ones have ESU sound and non-sound decoders. A DASR would not be required here. Then again, it is possible that the factory installed decoder was removed and a DASR installed, if this is the case, CV 8 to 8.

If this is an Athearn non-sound unit that you (or someone else) installed a DASR into, then CV 8 to 8 should give you full speed control back. If this is an Athearn unit with sound, then the DASR also would not be required.

Hope this helps!

Lee Ryan - Rio Grande Fan
Denver, CO

Date: 04/16/14 14:31

Gentlemen
I made an error when I stated that I had an Atlas unit. It is an Intermountain that I have replaced the stock decoder as per the owner's instructions. I have edited my original post. I have done everything suggested so far with no changes.
None of the CVs will read back even after reinstalling them either in ops mode or on the programming track. It acts like a bad decoder yet still operates till speed setting 16 is reached.
The DASR instructions say Cv 30 set to 2 on the (programming track) will reset Cvs to factory defaults. CV 8 set to 8 does nothing.
NCE was unavailable this afternoon!

KR

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/14 14:55 by kdrtrains.

Date: 04/16/14 16:15
Author: calsubd

NCE is now on FB too !

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 04/16/14 19:43
Author: dmaffei

Ken,

If you have a NCE system have you tried using the recovery program under the program track settings? It has worked for me in the past.

Date: 04/17/14 10:27

Running the recovery program did not help and so far I can not access option 8 (unlock) on my Power Pro cab.

Date: 04/17/14 11:11

OK here is the latest on the locked decoder.

I spoke with NCE and they ran me through the same steps suggested here with no success.

Since I never updated the chip in my Power Pro station I can not reach option 8 (UNLOCK) on my system. They are sending me the newest, latest, greatest chip.

The next time I am at our club I will try the unlock mode one more time and will let every one know how it worked out. If this does not work I will just install a new decoder.

Thanks to all of you with suggestions.

Ken Rhoads

Date: 04/17/14 11:50

OK problem solved.

The owner remembered he had set CV 16 to 82 by accident. When I reset CV 15 to 82 on the programming track it unlocked the decoder and I could set every CV back to factory defaults.

Thanks again to all of you who made suggestions. I learned a lot!

Ken Rhoads

Date: 04/17/14 17:56
Author: PHall

I hope you billed the owner extra for causing you all of this trouble.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0563 seconds