Home Open Account Help 236 users online

Model Railroading > 2014 Central Ohio RPM

Date: 04/16/14 19:04
2014 Central Ohio RPM
Author: SALGUY

This is the last call for the 2014 Central Ohio RPM which is scheduled to take place April 24-26 at the restored Marion Union Station located at 532 W Center St, Marion, OH 43302.

As is the format with RPMs, there are no contests. There are model displays, clinics, door prizes, historical societies, a few small vendors and fellowship. This meet also features plenty of prototype trains as the depot sits right smack in the middle of 3 double track mainlines. CSX operates two of them an NS operates one pair. Total train count through Marion easily tops 50 trains a day. This meet also features nightly slide/movie shows and a meet ending, extra fare cookout.

While the meet does not actually begin until Friday we have a very informal get together on Thursday. This is for set up, fanning and what not. Then we go to dinner at The Shovel Rest. which is located right across the parking lot. After dinner there is a slide/movie show that goes on until we cant take it any longer. I will be at the depot around noon or so for setup for the meet. If you are in the area please stop by for a bit of work and a lot of socializing.

The meet begins at 9 AM on Friday. I will be there around 8 AM for those that need to set up. The registrar, Robin Blake, insists that coffee be available as a term of her employment. Thus that coffee is available to you guys as well. There will be clinics through the day as well as plenty of trains. The days formal activities will end at 6 PM and we will adjourn for dinner. After dinner, around 8 or so, we will gather at the depot for a slide/movie presentation. Again, this will go until we cant take it any longer.

On Saturday, by far the busiest day of the meet, doors will again open at 9 AM with me being there at 8 AM for those that need to set up. Door prizes, which are kindly donated by manufacturers, are given away at 2PM and you MUST BE PRESENT TO WIN. The meet will close at 5 PM followed by a quick take down/clean up. After the meet our highly trains staff of cooks will prepare the cookout for your enjoyment. This is an extra fare item that is not included with admission to the meet. After the cookout will be the nightly slide/movie show.

One thing that needs to be mentioned is cost. It is CHEAP, way CHEAP. It is ONLY $20.00 for the weekends activities and the cook out is an extra $6.00. So, for $26.00 you can have a weekend full of enjoyment with like minded individuals.

There is plenty of lodging available out at Rte 23 and Rte 95 which is only a few minutes from the meet venue. There are also plenty of other dining alternatives available on 95.

One new thing for this years meet is the availability of meet T shirts. We have not yet finalized the price but they wont be very expensive and I encourage ALL who attend to pick up at least one. The color will be gray with the meets new logo on the back. I think you will enjoy these new shirts. Let me beg folks to purchase these as Robin and I are doing these out of our own pocket and we don’t want to do this at a personal loss to us. If you are interested in a shirt please let me know your shirt size so that we can be sure to have one for you. There is a photo of them on our Facebook group or I can send a photo of one to you.

We are currently looking for folks to present clinics. Those that do so get free admission to the meet.

Also, please remember that proceeds go to the benefit of the Marion Union Station itself.

For more information go to our Facebook site https://www.facebook.com/groups/438383252883060/. Or, you can contact me, Denis Blake, at dblake7@columbus.rr.com or by phone at 614-266-3864. There are registration forms available on the Facebook group in the files section. You can mail those registrations to Robin Blake, aka THE Warden, 1512 LaCosta Drive or simply send a check with your name and information included and she will register you for the meet.

We look forward to seeing you folks there.

The Marion Mafia

Denis Blake, Robin Blake, Jeannine Blake, Kevin Tweed and John Peters.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0511 seconds