Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Model Railroading > Another attempt at 1990s BNgrainer

Date: 04/17/14 23:08
Another attempt at 1990s BNgrainer
Author: pmack

I tried another attempt at a BN grainer with a little manual focus stacking. It's another ABA set of power but I took the suggestion in the previous thread and added two leasers and an SD40-2B instead of a twinkie. Yes, Ted, I know the GATX doesn't have the yellow stripe on the sill but 7357 didn't have it in spite of being in service on the BN in the mid 1990s. Instead of new, nicely matched covered hoppers I tried to get one of each color I have, blue, green, yellow, red, rust, green and black together, gray and even pink. Are there any colors I don't have yet?

The first attempt is here:
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,3380032

Date: 04/18/14 01:51
Re: Another attempt at 1990s BNgrainer
Author: jobrazy

Great modeling! Is the sky photoshopped or your real background?

Joel Brazy
Coatesville, PA

Date: 04/18/14 05:03
Author: NSTopHat

Paul;

You are missing orange.

We all like Twinkies! I just wish I could find Choco-diles, which were chocolate covered Twinkies....

Nice modeling.

Regards,
Russ

Date: 04/18/14 07:53
Author: iaisfan

I've really enjoyed these posts. Nice modeling! A little later than the BN I grew up with in the late 70s and early 80s, but a very enjoyable era nonetheless.

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA
www.iaisrailfans.org/../Sub4WestEnd

Date: 04/18/14 10:35
Author: funnelfan

Sweet! That is what makes railroading fun, when you get mixes of power like that! I even like the mix of hoppers, BN was famous for buying up a bunch of private owner cars and remarking them.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 04/18/14 13:02
Author: 3rdswitch

Great job.
JB

Date: 04/18/14 14:04
Author: toledopatch

Very nicely done.

Date: 04/18/14 14:47
Author: grahamline

With what software are you focus-stacking, Mr. P?

Date: 04/18/14 21:16
Author: pmack

Thanks again guys for the replies,

Joe B, the background I used a piece of blue poster board that I moved to be the background for each photo. It would be easier to paint the wall blue. Then I grabbed some clouds from another photo and put them over the blue poster board.

I wonder, can you can deep fry a Chocodile?

I came across a brown ATSF hopper I could have added too. Did anyone besides DRGW have orange grain hoppers?

Grahamline, I used Photoshop Elements 7 to combine the photos. If you don't move the camera, you can just delete the blurry parts, layer them up and hope for the best. That is mostly how I do it anyway.

Just for fun here's rosterish shots of the trailing power. I model the time just before the merger and found a photo from summer of 1996 showing 7502 with a very clean and shiny body and only slightly dirty trucks. I'm still taking suggestions for the numbers on the ends. They are larger than normal numberboards and not in a font the BN used.

edit: I just noticed a paint mistake on 7502 that is going to bother me until I fix it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/14 21:22 by pmack.

Date: 04/19/14 05:04
Author: toledopatch

There were quite a few private-owner cars that were orange that could fit into your train.

Others with orange grain hoppers include IC/ICG and the Ann Arbor, but I wouldn't think those would show up on the BN except maybe for the AA cars that later turned up with CRDX marks.

Date: 04/19/14 09:44
Author: NSTopHat

Ohhh Mr. Mack, you sure can deep fry a Chocodile.... I wish Hostess was still making them so I could try that. I'm gaining a few pounds thinking about it.

In regards to the orange covered hoppers, ExactRail has some Evans 4780's for Juniata Farmers Co-op still in stock.

Regards,
Russ

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.048 seconds