Home Open Account Help 290 users online

Model Railroading > Polish out a scratch on top of rail

Date: 04/20/14 09:59
Polish out a scratch on top of rail
Author: Casselton

Removing some ballast I accidentally scratched the top of my code 83 rail in a couple of places. The scratches are on the surface and do not cut the rail much at all. I assume it is possible polish the scratches out. I have used 1000 grit sand paper in the past, but this leaves very fine scratches that will collect dirt or oils. I would prefer to take it a step further and polish the top of the rail. Anyone have any experience doing this?

Thanks - Mark

Date: 04/20/14 12:07
Re: Polish out a scratch on top of rail
Author: mwbridgwater

You can use a diamond lapping compound. They come in many grades, so you can work in steps from relatively deep scratches to a flawless mirror finish. I use these frequently in my trade as a microscopic precision tool maker, where the working surfaces of production tooling must not transfer any marks to the parts being manufactured. If you're already starting with 1000 grit paper, you should be able to finish it up quickly with one of the finest grades. A cotton swab would work well for applying/rubbing it in, back and forth along the railhead. You will immediately see the metal being removed as a black discoloration on the cotton swab.

Lapping compound is available from most industrial supply stores. There is a full selection here at McMaster-Carr; you could just mail-order some from there. I would recommend the 1 micron size paste in the syringe, #4776A65, 5 gram (smallest quantity):

http://www.mcmaster.com/#diamond-lapping-compounds/=rme3nx

Mark

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/14 12:14 by mwbridgwater.

Date: 04/20/14 14:03
Author: up833

Or..like most of us that use a Bright Boy...dont worry to much about the micro scratches. Scratches dont make the dirt so look for ways to reduce dirt/dust. Reduce outside air getting into the train space, filter heated air etc.
Roger Beckett

Date: 04/20/14 15:04
Author: NSDTK

Get some tooth paste and a towel and polish away on it.

Date: 04/20/14 16:03
Author: fbe

Maybe build up the scratch with some silver bearing Stay Bright solder then file and buff down to the rail head.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 04/20/14 19:35
Author: PHall

Or just leave it alone. Small scratches won't hurt anything and you may do more damage "repairing" it.

Date: 04/20/14 22:07
Author: SWChief

You're already polishing it with 1000 grit. That's some pretty fine stuff (it's considered ultra fine grit even at 800.) If you're not comfortable with that then go 1200 or 1500 grit, though I think that would be approaching overkill.

Mark, I think your fine with the 1000 grit already. Like one of the other posters said here, at that point I'd start taking measures to reduce the sources of dust or dirt because I don't think any dirt supposedly accumulating in the very tiny scratches left after using the 1000 grit will be causing you any discernable problems. Next steps (if not prior steps) would be to get rid of any plastic wheelsets on your rolling stock and go to Intermountain or Rebox or whatever brand you like for metal wheels. Also switch out any Athearn blue box sintered iron wheels from their locos and replace them with better metal wheels, I think Northwest Short Line is the recommended source for them? The Athearn RTR and Genesis locos wheels are fine out of the box and don't necessarily need replacing. Clean your track with laquer thinner or 90% rubbing alcohol, and then if you really want to use polish then get some Flitz or mag wheel polish at an autobody store and polish your rails. Many swear that using this type of polish will keep your rails clean for years until you next have to polish it.

Personally I've used 1000 grit myself and then cleaned the track with laquer thinner and haven't really done any cleaning of it since and it's been maybe a 18-24 months since I did that and the track hasn't gotten dirty or caused any problems since, and my layout has many 3% grades throughout.

Good luck.

Enjoy the hobby!

Greg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/14 22:11 by SWChief.

Date: 04/21/14 00:58
Author: shortliner

Look in your craft shop or jewellery suppliers catalogue for a "burnisher", a rounded oval section tool in steel that you rub across the surface. This one should be available in USA as that is where it ships from - you rub it along the rail-top while applying pressure and it polishes the surface https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/112091396/1-12-curved-burnisher-jewelry-making?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_promoted_en_gb&utm_campaign=supplies_low

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/14 01:05 by shortliner.

Date: 04/21/14 02:32
Author: jobrazy

$3.50 on eBay .

Joel Brazy
Coatesville, PA

Date: 04/21/14 07:25
Author: Casselton

Thanks for all the suggestions. Mark

Date: 04/21/14 07:41
Author: BAB

Casselton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for all the suggestions. Mark

Isnt a big worry unless it stands out. Minor scratches are really nothing as have had them with no effect for years and no trouble just looks unless its very deep. Move on have fun worry less.

Date: 04/21/14 20:00
Author: ATSFSD26

If the scratch is fine, it should buff out pretty quickly even with 800 to 1000 paper.
If it is deep, filing or sanding to get rid of the scratch will mean the surrounding rail has been removed down to a level that matches the unmarked track UNDER the scratch.
If the scratch is deep, you'll end up with a "pothole" in the track that every car and loco will dip into when they travel over that piece of track.
If it was mine, (not having sen it) I think live with it.
If it is too much of an eyesore for you, fill the scratch with solder and file back to match the surrounding rail.
cheers
Dave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0729 seconds