Home Open Account Help 282 users online

Model Railroading > Taking down the Flag

Date: 04/21/14 06:21
Taking down the Flag
Author: Blues

Has anyone removed the flag from the sides of the Athearn GEVO? I'm looking to paint one of the units for the Pink Ribbon unit and will need to remove the flag, cab numbers and number boards. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Date: 04/21/14 06:34
Re: Taking down the Flag
Author: BNModeler

I've taken lettering off Walthers cars with Microscale Micro set, The red label stuff and a Q-Tip, several Q-Tips.
It does take time but the paintwork under was completely unharmed. Not to say that you can't damage the paint if you work it too hard.

Date: 04/21/14 09:31

Thanks BNModeler. I was curious since I think these flags were stamped on instead of a decal...other thoughts?

Date: 04/21/14 10:58
Author: tracktime

red-label Micro-Sol will remove pad-printed lettering and your flag if you are patient and work carefully.

Date: 04/21/14 11:11
Author: dcmkris

Micro-Sol will do the job just work slowly and be very patient it can be done.

I've also read of others using rubbing alcohol on a Q tip end, but I would go the Micro-Sol version myself.

Kris

Date: 04/21/14 12:12
Author: tomstp

Walthers solvaset will also work.

Date: 04/21/14 13:57

Again, many thanks. How about the number boards? Should they be removed first or just continue to work carefully?

Date: 04/22/14 10:02
Author: Kemacprr

Try this method. Cut a piece of paper towel the size of th elettering you want to remove. Lay the loco on it's side and place the paper towel over the lettering. Put a few drops of Micro Sol on the paper towel. Let it sit there for about 3-4 minutes. This will allow the micro Sol to soak into the lettering. Remove paper towel and then use the q tips.It mat require 2-3 uses of the paper towel to completely break up the lettering. --------- Ken

Date: 04/22/14 13:52

Thanks Ken!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0279 seconds