Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Model Railroading > Trouble Re-Programming A Bachmann DD40AX w/'DCC On Boar

Date: 04/21/14 08:30
Trouble Re-Programming A Bachmann DD40AX w/'DCC On Boar
Author: TheCurator

For whatever reason I can't reprogram the locomotive address of this N scale model to accept its engine number (6910) instead of the factory-programmed '003'. I keep getting that dreaded 'd_nd' error, yet I've reprogrammed a Broadway Limited E8A to its number (0952) with no problem at all. I've followed both the Bachmann instructions AND the Digitrax guidelines to the letter.

Before I replace the decoder (suggestions on what decoder to use would be helpful), any tips?

Using a Digitrax Zephyr system and a completely separate programming track.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/14 11:07 by TheCurator.

Date: 04/21/14 19:43
Re: Re-Programming A Bachmann DD40AX w/'DCC On Board'
Author: ATSFSD26

Do you know anyone who has a different band of DCC system (NCE, etc)?
If so, see if their system will re-program the Bachmann decoder.
Assuming it runs on your system now, once the decoder has the 4 digit number installed, it will still run your system.
I am NOT bagging the Digitrax system.
Simply suggesting you eliminate each of the variables, without spending money unecessarily.
cheers
Dave

Date: 04/21/14 20:08

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I don't know anyone with an N scale layout and the local club(s) are all HO or larger.

The model runs fine with the 003 address but I'll keep tinkering. Maybe a message to Bachmann is in order.

Date: 04/21/14 20:45
Author: tinytrains

I assume your if your engine has sound. If so, a Digitrax Zepher does not have enough voltage to program it. I know because I have the same issue with my Super Cheif. This is a common problem with sound engines in HO and N.

Your best bet is to add a Sound Trax booster to your programing track. http://www.soundtraxx.com/access/ptb100.php
Then you will have full function access.

I use a Digitrax PR3 with a 14V power supply. That works too.

Or find someone with a programing station that will handle sound (HO or N). Once you have a number in it, you can use mainline programming to change other CVs.

If your engine runs on channel 03, the decoder is probably fine.

Scott Schifer
Torrance, CA
TinyTrains Website

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/14 20:45 by tinytrains.

Date: 04/22/14 03:22

Thanks for the suggestions, Scott. Guess I should've mentioned - this isn't a sound-equipped model (the E8A is, which kinda adds to the conundrum).

Date: 04/22/14 08:03
Author: kysouthern

I have two MTH diesels that I could not read the decoders using Digitrax and a Power Pax booster. I purchased a Sound Trax booster and I was able to read all CV's using it with the Digitrax system. So it would definitely be worth a try.

Date: 04/23/14 22:56
Author: tinytrains

I have a no sound DD40 too. I can program it with my Digitrax command station.

Make sure you are in PG (looks like P6) paged mode. Select the address and see if you can read it (press enter). Then enter your target data and press enter.

Scott Schifer
Torrance, CA
TinyTrains Website

Date: 04/24/14 11:07

Thanks again for the advice, all.

Scott, according to the instructions this loco can be programmed on the main (ops mode) or an isolated programming track (paged) and I tried both methods with no luck.

My local hobby shop uses an NCE system to test locos for customers so maybe I'll take mine over to see if the decoder can be read/re-programmed.

I'll keep you all posted.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/14 17:58 by TheCurator.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0497 seconds