Home Open Account Help 267 users online

Model Railroading > Broadway 2-8-0 (Not PRR or C-16)

Date: 04/22/14 16:56
Broadway 2-8-0 (Not PRR or C-16)
Author: rswebber

Anyone know the prototype of the newly announced 2-8-0 from Broadway Limited?

http://www.broadway-limited.com/27952-8-0consolidationnkp458paragon2sounddcdccho.aspx

The listing states:
Known as a highly efficient replacement for the 2-6-0 Mogul- it could move trains twice as heavy at a fraction of the cost - the 2-8-0 Consolidation was a mainstay on railroads all over the world.

Although only a handful of railroads bought Consolidations when Baldwin first introduced them, substantial credence was given to the design when the Pennsy made it their staple freight hauler in 1875. Over 33,000 2-8-0 locomotives were built in the US. 12,000 of them were exported. That left 21,000 of these classic steamers to do their work Stateside.

Broadway Limited is pleased to bring Consolidations painted for many of the classic railroads in US History. Its compact wheel base and die cast construction makes this a real treat for steam enthusiasts who seek a high quality model with cutting edge detail and design that will run on smaller radius curves.

Production is built to order. Preorder with your dealer today!

**Specifications on this page subject to change.

So I assume it isn't specifically a NKP - or D&RGW Consolidation. Any one know?

Date: 04/22/14 17:14
Re: Broadway 2-8-0 (Not PRR or C-16)
Author: coastdaylight

It looks like the PRR 2-8-0 with out the belpaire firebox. Doubt there is even a prototype for this.

Date: 04/22/14 17:34

I actually wondered this - since they had the H9/10 in development, it would have been "easy" to slap a "generic" boiler on the running gear.

Which actually, isn't all that far removed from some "real" locomotives. It would be nice if they said - I completely understand the fooby requirements, and a generic 2-8-0 has been a missing link (though a few decades too late, perhaps).

I hope it is based on something - even a NYC 2-8-0 - something that has some prototypical background. But...given some of the antics from BLI, not sure what to trust.

Date: 04/22/14 19:20
Author: pullmanboss

This was discussed on Yahoo's Santa Fe group a couple of weeks ago. Steve Sandifer contacted BLI and got the following response from the designer:

"From the designer at BLI:
Haha, this must be the 20th email asking this. I didn't expect this response when we announced this model - it's definitely interesting.
The model isn't based on a specific prototype. It will have the H10 chassis, USRA Mikado Tender, and a new boiler. The features on the boiler/smokebox are modeled after features we found common among various railroads' 2-8-0's. Here are some screen shots of the 3d design. I hope we can have a sample ready in about six weeks."

Tom M.

Date: 04/22/14 19:39

Thanks, Tom!

Date: 04/22/14 20:55
Author: Arved

Would have been nice to have a Harriman consolidation instead.

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL

Date: 04/22/14 23:08
Author: railwaybaron

I agree, a real prototype would have been appreciated. A totally make believe steamer is a drawback and a shame.

Date: 04/22/14 23:35
Author: Finderskeepers

To me, the engine looks like a 1950 class Santa Fe engine, the tender is completely wrong of course, but the cab sure looks ATSF though.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/23/14 00:30
Author: MitchGDRMCo

So what eras could this cover?

Date: 04/23/14 04:32

Given the BLI rep's surprise that he's had at least 20 calls about it, I wonder if that doesn't indicate an issue with BLI. Obviously, they have been at RPM's in the past - and just as obviously, they don't seem to understand the issue. If they think that those uninterested in specific prototypes are the market they are working on, they have some rough times ahead.

Date: 04/23/14 05:06
Author: pennsy3750

Arved Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would have been nice to have a Harriman
> consolidation instead.

I have to wonder why nobody has made a state-of-the-art Harriman 2-8-0 in plastic - certainly there are enough SP modelers out there.

Or is the SP modeling community just too focused on the diesel era? (Or do the manufacturers just think SP modelers are too diesel-focused?)

Date: 04/23/14 05:55
Author: binder001

pennsy3750 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Arved Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Would have been nice to have a Harriman
> > consolidation instead.
>
> I have to wonder why nobody has made a
> state-of-the-art Harriman 2-8-0 in plastic -
> certainly there are enough SP modelers out there.
>
> Or is the SP modeling community just too focused
> on the diesel era? (Or do the manufacturers just
> think SP modelers are too diesel-focused?)

Plus, don't forget the UP guys! We badly need a Harriman style 2-8-0 with good running qualities. Union Pacific ran 2-8-0's right up to the end of steam. They didn't get the coverage of the big power on the mainline, but they served Nebraska and Kansas branches into 1958.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0475 seconds