Home Open Account Help 393 users online

Model Railroading > Current Project

Date: 04/22/14 17:41
Current Project
Author: funnelfan

A pic of my current project I'm working on. It's a simple upgrade of a pre-decorated model. It's a Atlas GP40 painted as DRGW 3080. I'm adding the missing mars light in the nose as well as a new plow, cut levers, metal sunshades, mirrors, air filter, truck lights, among other changes. I will also add a decoder and LED lights.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 04/22/14 18:01
Re: Current Project
Author: calsubd

Good project !, I have a Q though about the Classification lights, 1.What time period were they used ?, is there any other info you can share about them ?, TIA, Ed

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 04/22/14 18:21

More recent photos of the 3080 in service on the Wheeling and Lake Erie still show the class lights in place. Class lights are generally on a case by case basis for most units.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 04/22/14 18:40
Author: lizzard_45

That's a good project! I approve!

Paul Liddiard
Spanish Fork, UT

Date: 04/22/14 18:40

Thanks

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 04/22/14 23:32

Well, got the hard part out of the way. Wasn't looking forward to having to create a hole in the front weight for the nose light. I used my dremel with a fiberglass reinforced cutoff disk to cut the slot out. I had to wet a paper towel just to hold the part while cutting as it got very hot.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 04/22/14 23:39

Then comes the fun of wiring in a 9 pin harness and LED lights. The slot was perfect for the nose light with the wires running just under the forward weight. The 1K 1/4 watt carbon film resistors for the LED are wrapped in electrical tape above the motor. Here is a tip for you all, if you correctly wire a 9 pin harness, LED's and all, and then plug in a Athearn dummy plug into the harness. The locomotive will run perfectly on DC power with the lights coming on in forward only. It's a great way to test your wiring without letting the magic smoke out of a DCC chip. I will call it a night with that.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 04/23/14 02:30

Looking forward to Part Deux, The working Mars light !

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 04/23/14 18:50
Author: grandeguy

Hello Ted...............heres my project ATLAS GP40 3080 in action earlier this spring.

regards, Dave Dane

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0461 seconds