Home Open Account Help 226 users online

Model Railroading > So what is Athearn's retooled engine?

Date: 07/18/14 08:45
So what is Athearn's retooled engine?
Author: nygiant

Saw Genesis autorack, nice, but Can't find any word on their retooled diesel.

Date: 07/18/14 08:48
Re: So what is Athearn's retooled engine?
Author: pal77

announcement tomorrow at 10am per faceplant page! On there web page they show the nmra NS sd40-2, was thinking that cant be it!

Date: 07/18/14 09:46
Author: mkerner

They have an IC orange/white on their display

Posted from Android

Date: 07/18/14 09:54
Author: calsubd

geez I just bought 2 Ready to roll Athearn SD 40-2's a year ago, are the Genesis coming with sound ?, Oh well wait and see !!

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 07/18/14 10:23
Author: pwh

Model Railroader's website has a good listing of new products with photos being announced at the show. The Rivarossi HO U25C looks very nice. I wish somebody would do a more up to date U25B in HO.

Date: 07/18/14 11:08
Author: grandeguy

Looks like sd70m flares.

Dave Dane

Date: 07/18/14 12:38
Author: hoydie17

grandeguy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like sd70m flares.
>
> Dave Dane

Wasn't that already announced like 2 months ago? Or did I just imagine that?

Date: 07/18/14 12:52
Author: drolsen

grandeguy Wrote:

Other folks have reported that the Athearn booth already has the SD70M flared on display (with a photo in MR's show coverage on their website), so that obviously wouldn't be tomorrow's announcement.

Dave

Date: 07/18/14 13:10
Author: GP30Frank

grandeguy Wrote:
>
> Dave Dane
SD70M's, with flares, announced back in January.

Date: 07/18/14 13:29
Author: bnsftcdiv

Was told in booth by Chris that it is an SD-40.

Frank Wrote:
> grandeguy Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Looks like sd70m flares.
> >
> > Dave Dane
> SD70M's, with flares, announced back in
> January.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/18/14 15:41
Author: rschonfelder

I wonder why the FP7 has disappeared from recent announcements? There was some word on here that they may be considering the revision of the production concept from a "Chinese factory kitbash" to a complete FP7 tool. With Athearn seemingly favouring the SP, one would have to think that they are not finished with the FP7 as, for example, there has been no bloody nose FP7.

There are many classic locos that Athearn has released as RTR and should have been done in the realm of Genesis; SD45, SD40-2 for example. All was rooted in the purchase of RPP dies; an action I am sure they regret. My expectation is they would not do a re-branding of anything within 4-5 years.

Additional later comment: The SD40 (which seems to be the unofficial feeling of what it will be) has not been released for approximately 4 years.

Rick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/14 18:20 by rschonfelder.

Date: 07/18/14 16:12
Author: SPDRGWfan

bnsftcdiv Wrote:
> Was told in booth by Chris that it is an SD-40.
>

I'd be fine with that but does "retooled" mean basically another RTR SD40? I really REALLY want a Genesis quality SP SD40 with the light package and rebuilt version for the 80's too.

Cheers, Jim

Date: 07/18/14 17:52
Author: sd39u

SD40

Date: 07/18/14 19:57
Author: Y-SFan

Maybe it will be the SW7 they already redid the sw1500 and sw1000 so the only one left would be the SW7. Would be a good model to release in some steel mill paint since they are in Cleveland.

Date: 07/18/14 23:27
Author: GRNDMND

According to their website, the Saturday July 19th announcement is a re-tooled SD40, available with DCC&Sound or DCC ready.

KC

Date: 07/19/14 00:21
Author: Snailtrail

So the new SD40 will be the first RTR to have the option of DCC/Sound? I wonder if it will
use the new frame introduced on the latest run of the RTR SD45, allowing for the Genesis
motor upgrade kit?

http://www.athearn.com/Search/Default.aspx?SearchTerm=Sd40&Page=1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/14 00:26 by Snailtrail.

Date: 07/19/14 03:28
Author: TCnR

Heard all the e-mails were lost in a computer crash, I think it's criminal and we should bring them in front of a Congressional Committee.
Oh wait, wrong discussion site.

> I wonder why the FP7 has disappeared from recent
> announcements?

Date: 07/19/14 06:03
Author: SPDRGWfan

I was really hoping for a Genesis SD40 for Southern Pacific. If it is RTR version, that's a bit of disappointment. If they do the SD40 in SP and include the main features, light package etc. and it runs well, then I'll probably be satisfied since the RTR tunnel motors are very nearly Genesis in level of detail etc, just the drive is not as advanced.

Here is a quote from the new SP announcement:

"Many new options available, such as alternate noses, numberboards, rear headlights, grilles, dynamic brakes, truck sideframes, air reservoirs, battery box doors, etc. – Several offered in plastic for the first time".

There will be a Tsunami sound version which seems to be new for the RTR line which is interesting.

So I note no SP in the first announcement but I'm already saving up for at least 3 Genesis GP40-2's this fall, so it may be next year for the SP SD40's which I assume Athearn (being SP concentric) will run and with the alternate noses I'll be looking for the SP light package like they have done on the RTR SD45 and tunnel motors. I'd like to see them do both the rebuilt version for the 80's and original version for the late 60's and 70's. Certainly there are things to budget for before those come out so while I wish SP was in the first run, it would be better for me if it is a few more months off.

Cheers, Jim

Read more: http://atlasrescueforum.proboards.com/thread/2767/athearn-sd40?page=1&scrollTo=42286#ixzz37v5szAkI

Jim

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/14 06:27 by SPDRGWfan.

Date: 07/20/14 19:14
Author: BN_FAN

Yes on the motor, per an Athearn Facebook post:

"Frame is sound ready and accepts the SD45 Genesis motor for easier speed matching to our Genesis line".

Attached photo is one of four from that posting.

Doug Stark

Snailtrail Wrote:
> So the new SD40 will be the first RTR to have the
> option of DCC/Sound? I wonder if it will
> use the new frame introduced on the latest run of
> the RTR SD45, allowing for the Genesis
> motor upgrade kit?
>
> http://www.athearn.com/Search/Default.aspx?SearchT
> erm=Sd40&Page=1

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0548 seconds