Home Open Account Help 284 users online

Model Railroading > Sound for Atlas HO Silver SD24 ?

Date: 07/19/14 07:28
Sound for Atlas HO Silver SD24 ?
Author: wfre

Hi all - I have a late model Atlas Silver HO SD24. Looking to put sound in. Would appreciate advice on what to use from someone who has actually done this conversion. This is the latest version with surface LEDs for lights.

TIA, Walt in Sausalito

Date: 07/19/14 08:48
Re: Sound for Atlas HO Silver SD24 ?
Author: chitownjeff

If it were mine I would go with either the hard wire 567 turbo Tsunami or the loksound version, I know the Atlas silver version should be sound ready or also known as a "A frame" I use 1 and only 1 QSI 1.20 oval speaker even though its made for 2 you will still
get a great volume of sound. I only use 1 speaker because the first unit I ever did was a Atlas GP38 and I wasn't happy with the
volume of sound when I had installed 2 in series. A veteran of installs pointed out to me that when you use 2 you are actually
cutting the power of each speaker in half and suggested I remove 1 speaker, which I did and then I was totally pleased.
The drop in circuit board type will not fit in A frame correctly as it was actually designed for a QSI sound decoder which BTW I don't care for, but that's my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/14 08:53 by chitownjeff.

Date: 07/19/14 10:00
Author: KA7008

I second Jeff's opinions:
No on QSI - very happy with Tsunami 567 turbo sound.
Go with 1 speaker, keep the weight in there where the 2nd speaker would be.

Date: 07/19/14 13:17
Author: wfre

Tx for you replies guys, interesting note on the speakers, but I am really looking for someone who has actually done the convert e.g. replaced the circuit board ? Any problems rewiring the surface mount lights ... and so on.

Walt

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0509 seconds