Home Open Account Help 272 users online

Model Railroading > Thoroughbred Box

Date: 07/19/14 12:16
Thoroughbred Box
Author: Jimmies

I saw a prototype one of these many years ago, and I've had this Athearn version staring back at me from the work line for quite a long while. I had trouble finding much in the way of recent photos of the real thing, so I just kind of winged it on this, giving it a light, but significant, weathering. I added the Walthers coupler conversion, plus air hoses, uncoupling bars, and put stirrup steps on. They're probably the wrong steps, but they're what I had on hand. Besides, if Athearn can take some license with the car number, then I figure too I can with the steps.

Jim

Date: 07/19/14 12:18
Re: Thoroughbred Box

Two more...

Date: 07/19/14 14:14
Author: dcmkris

Jim,

Great job! I really like the weathering.

I always liked catching these boxes as there were so few of them, I think 10 or less maybe painted gray.
The last one I saw up here in Michigan was back around 2002 or so, if I recall correctly.

Kris

Date: 07/19/14 15:55
Author: rschonfelder

Your weathering is fantastic. Can you share your technique and what you used?

Rick

Date: 07/19/14 19:18
Author: SantaFeRuss

I have this same car with the same number on my own "fix it up" table. I will re-number mine to NS 487454 and weather it up a bit. Your car looks fantastic. Nice job! I have seen grey 86 footers within the last couple of years roaming the rails. I think they are still around. I see the brown 86' cars often.

SantaFeRuss

Date: 07/19/14 20:40
Author: bnsfmodeler

was this painted by Athearn or is it custom painted

Date: 07/20/14 09:51

The car is painted by and numbered by Athearn. I believe the number is actually a Conrail number, but I could be wrong about that.

The weathering is Testors dullcote (rattle can), some grey acrylic craft paint lightly air brushed onto the roof to knock down the silver shine of the original paint, the rust and streaking is done by brushing on thinned burnt sienna and burnt umber artist oils. They are thinned with Solva-set. Then more dullcoteto finish.

Jim

Date: 07/22/14 08:33
Author: shadetree

There is one still running for sure. Saw it this spring.

Valid numbers that I have are:

Eng.Shadetree

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/14 08:38 by shadetree.

Date: 01/10/15 07:39
Author: iomalley

All of them were regularly assigned to Talbotville Ford in St. Thomas, floating among the sea of brown NS boxes in Talbotville yard. (and a smattering of NWs) But since the plant closed in 2011, not sure where they ended up. I still imagine they are in a Ford pool somewhere.

BTW, Jimmies is my go-to weathering guy, he's top notch!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0471 seconds