Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Model Railroading > Athearn's SD40

Date: 07/19/14 16:20
Athearn's SD40
Author: nygiant

Does anyone wonder why they offered the SD40 as a ready to roll unit instead of a Genesis unit? Also, why not offer the SP version right off the bat? And a limited number of roadnames at that? I have many Athearn units, but I sometime wonder what they are thinking.

Date: 07/19/14 16:41
Re: Athearn's SD40
Author: rschonfelder

I don't have any problems with the branding if it is a quality product. In past I've been fine with the RTR except for the lack of sharpness on the doors, latches and other details. This is left over from the poor tooling from RPP. Having said that, they do pass the 3 foot test. There will be many people who will be happy with a lower price tag than if it were branded Genesis.

If the model is re-tooled RTR, this is a very good price. I expect they are reacting to the large amount of requests for sound to be applied to their RTR range. It seems the non-sound is still priced at the same level as before give or take some rise for inflation.

Rick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/14 16:42 by rschonfelder.

Date: 07/19/14 17:12
Author: MrMRL

nygiant Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also, why not offer the SP version right off the bat?

Perhaps Athearn is diversifying? Attempting to shed their image as a primarily West Coast (SP/UP/ATSF) manufacturer? I'd figured their recent RTR/Genesis NS Heritage projects laid that myth to rest though... Or because their resident SP tooling expert has parted ways with the organization?? Don't get me wrong, Chris P. is a serious SP modeler in his own regards, but he is the new company rep, not exactly head of the R&D dept.

Mr. MRL

Date: 07/19/14 17:53
Author: brfriedm

nygiant Wrote:
> Does anyone wonder why they offered the SD40
> as a ready to roll unit instead of a Genesis unit?
> Also, why not offer the SP version right off the
> bat? And a limited number of roadnames at that? I
> have many Athearn units, but I sometime wonder
> what they are thinking.

Actually I was wondering why you started another thread when there is one 4 entries below this.

Bruce

Date: 07/19/14 21:40
Author: dash944cw

rschonfelder Wrote:
> I don't have any problems with the branding if it
> is a quality product. In past I've been fine with
> the RTR except for the lack of sharpness on the
> doors, latches and other details. This is left
> over from the poor tooling from RPP. Having said
> that, they do pass the 3 foot test. >
>> Rick

Gee Rick... Maybe you should invest the QUARTER MILLION it takes to find an injection molder, build the dies and see what it takes to produce a product that would meet your spec. For some of us, we were damn glad to have the RPP SD40 product, and a guy who was willing to make the huge investment necessary to produce several models nobody else had the guts to go forward on. I'd be delighted to see one of your finished products, to make sure all the rivets were exactly where they should be, etc., etc., etc.

Date: 07/20/14 16:42
Author: CR4103

Wow there just model trains, run them or leave it!! Buy it or not there all great...

Posted from Android

Date: 07/20/14 18:55
Author: TCnR

But that other thread is getting really ugly and will be going 'Private Reply' any moment...
> -----

>
> Actually I was wondering why you started another
> thread when there is one 4 entries below this.
>
> Bruce

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0447 seconds