Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Model Railroading > Athearn TP&W GP35s

Date: 07/24/14 14:24
Athearn TP&W GP35s
Author: SantaFe9820

I'm looking at buying an Athearn RTR GP35. Do these have the same problem at the P2K GP18 with the paint being too bright? I can't tell. How are they as a model otherwise? Thanks in advance!

Date: 07/24/14 15:44
Re: Athearn TP&W GP35s
Author: BN7149

Unfortunately I never saw that era of TP&W in person, but I'm still a big fan. So based on what I've seen in photos and videos I felt the color Athearn used was pretty good when I looked at one in the store. Maybe someone else can chime in with a more thorough assessment.

-Ryan

Date: 07/24/14 16:02
Author: grahamline

The couple of models I have seen looked like brand-new units. Probably didn't look new very long, since white shows grime and red fades fairly quickly.

Date: 07/25/14 10:17
Author: NebraskaZephyr

I saw all three prototype units and I bought one of the Athearns, they looked okay to me. You can always tone 'em down a little with a flat overspray.

BTW, each of the three (900, 901 and 902) had a slightly different paint scheme (they were among the last units to get the orange-and-white scheme, as late as 1982) and Athearn has correctly replicated this. Depending on the year you model you may only want a certain number(s).

NZ

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0756 seconds