Home Open Account Help 356 users online

Model Railroading > Bachrus Model Train Speedometer

Date: 07/26/14 09:14
Bachrus Model Train Speedometer
Author: Casselton

I would like to buy a speedometer. I really like the Bachrus rollers/running stands. I noticed on their website they make one. Looks like a good way to go if you have a small layout.

MTS-DCC50 JMRI DecoderPro Version (Reader + Interface + CD + 2m (6.5ft) USB cable)

Does anyone have experience and/or an opinion on this model or other speedometers.

Thanks - Mark

Date: 07/26/14 09:20
Re: Bachrus Model Train Speedometer
Author: UPJeff

I have used them to speed match locomotives and we sell them to customers all the time. The customers that have purchased them really like them.

Jeff Smith
Lakewood, CA
RailMaster Hobbies

Date: 07/26/14 09:29

Jeff,

Do you recommend the JMRI version? I use JMRI and that seems to be the best option.

Thanks - Mark

Date: 07/26/14 15:33
Author: funnelfan

If someone makes a accurate speedometer that hooks into JMRI, I could easily see where they could make a program extension that would automatically speed match your locos to a standard profile. All you would have to do is place the loco facing forward just before the speedometer and enter the loco number into the program, and the system would run the locomotive back and forth at different throttle steps and record the various speeds, and then adjust a speed table to make the engine match the profile as closely as possible.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 07/26/14 21:00
Author: TomG

Id be in linr for it.

Date: 07/27/14 02:56
Author: jobrazy

I have been using accutrack for a while and it works flawlessly. Simple.

J

Joel Brazy
Coatesville, PA

Date: 07/27/14 07:52

Thought I would post the link to Accutrack. Thanks to everyone for posting.

http://www.bbmgroup.com/sprog/speedo.html

Date: 07/28/14 20:30
Author: RioGrandeFan

I have a Bachrus with the JMRI input and for me it has been a so-so experience. I found that the roller that turns the speed sensor is harder to turn than the other rollers and sometimes my locomotives would just slide against that roller or would slide and then turn it and then slide again which gives very inaccurate results. I even took the unit apart and checked for why it wasn't easy to turn and found some flash on plastic parts but it still wouldn't turn easy. I then put a couple drops of oil on the bearing surface, results were better but still not great. Overall I have grown to not be able to trust the accuracy of the Bachrus and always go back to the Accutrack speedometer tunnel which is mobile and very accurate.

The Bachrus rollers are wonderful though. I'm not totally sold on the speedometer though.

I'm also familiar with the Boulder Creek Engineering speedometer and it is also a big winner, if you want to install it permanently in your layout. Nothing at all wrong with that if that is what you are looking for.

Lee Ryan - Rio Grande Fan
Denver, CO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0604 seconds