Home Open Account Help 300 users online

Model Railroading > Airbrush Recommendations

Date: 07/27/14 12:58
Airbrush Recommendations
Author: Trainatic

I've been contemplating getting an airbrush recently mainly to use to paint track, but also for some future rolling stock weathering. I wanted to get some input with advice on what brands and types are best. I know there are single and double action brushes, but don't know which would be better. I don't want to drop a whole lot of cash, but I am willing to pay for good quality. Any suggestions or advice is greatly appriciated!

Thanks in advance!

Date: 07/27/14 13:46
Re: Airbrush Recommendations
Author: rosswaters

I myself use an Iwata Airbrush HP-BCS. I have had it for many years and I love it. You want to make sure you clean it properly after every use and if you use acrylics you'll want to clean it between small breaks. I use 91-99% rubbing alcohol when using acrylic paints.

http://www.amazon.com/Iwata-ECL2001-HP-BCS-Eclipse-Airbrush/dp/B000BQOFSG/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1406493662&sr=8-7&keywords=Iwata+HP-BCS

Date: 07/27/14 14:52
Author: Jimmies

I use the same brand and model as rosswaters (above) uses. It's double action, and seems well built. I've had it for about 3 years, and have had no problems with it. Whatever type or brand you get, just keep it clean.

Jim

Date: 07/27/14 15:10
Author: jburek

I have two Badger 200 internal mix airbrushes that I have been using for years. Airbrushing is an art form that takes time to master. Practice a lot on dummy shells to work on technique before working on your main subject. You get a great effect from airbrushing whether it be painting or weathering - once you see the finish I'm certain you will embrace this medium. I really like my Badger 200's - I've also heard some very good things about Paasche's VL series of airbrushes as well. Good luck...
jburek

Date: 07/27/14 15:59
Author: penncentral74

I used to use the Paasche VL double-action exclusively, but bought an Iwata when I had some disposable income. Now the Iwata is primary, and the VL is used for gloss and/or flat oversprays and sealers.

The feel of the Iwata is like a sports car. You should purchase spare needles and parts as they are a little less robust than the 'heavy iron' Paasche.

Date: 07/27/14 16:58
Author: andrewcastle

I started out with a Badger 200 and found it a great beginner airbrush.

I prefer internal mix over external mix due to the finer spray of paint. This is especially useful when doing weathering oversprays. I would suggest a single action airbrush when starting out, a double action brush takes some getting used to.

Once I had mastered the 200 I switched to a Badger 360 double action airbrush and am quite happy with it. I have heard good things about Iwata and Paasche as well so you should be happy with any of the major brands.

As the other guys said disassemble and clean your airbrush after every use, if you take care of your airbrush it will last forever. After spraying acrylics I use Windex to clean my airbrush.

Andrew C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/14 17:00 by andrewcastle.

Date: 07/27/14 17:08
Author: CNW

I also use a Badger 200, and I've been using it for 30+ years. I recently returned it to Badger for service and it returned as a whole new unit (refurbished). It was quickly returned and my cost was about ten bucks plus shipping; outstanding customer service!

I used an Iwata dual action for a while but went back to the single action Badger 200. My return to the Badger was mainly due to my many years of using the single action, and being uncomfortable with the dual action. In my opinion, weathering was tricky with the dual action. I always felt I could ruin a model by accidently pulling back on the trigger and applying too much paint. My intent is not to bash the Iwata as it was an extremely smooth and high quality air brush.

If you've never airbrushed before, you may want to start with something simple, and move up to something better as you build your skills.

Dennis

Date: 07/27/14 17:54
Author: bigmc83

I use an Iwata Revolution TR-2, it's a double action brush with a unique trigger setup that makes it a little easier for me to operate. It's also more comfortable for long periods. I'd say it's good for general painting, and I've purchased the associated needle and hardware to make it perform like it's counterpart, the TR-1, which gives a little finer control and smaller spray patterns. I've had good luck using it for weathering, but think I could do better. That said, I really like it, and the Iwata line, and am looking at an Iwata HPC for weathering use.

http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/iwata-airbrushes/revolution/hp-tr2/

I've used a Binks Wren (can't remember if it was an A or B) and it's a good single action brush. The difference again is in the orifice sizing.

I'm not a fan of the Testors Aztek line.

Good luck with whatever you get!

-Sean McCaffery

Date: 07/27/14 19:17
Author: dropframe

I have a Badger Professional Model 150 that use for general painting (medium tip)and spraying acrylics I use the large tip. I also have a Badger Renegade Krome I got recently. I have been using it with a fine tip for weathering. Air brushes are like cars, we all have a preference. If you have friends that have air brushes ask them to let you try them. This might help you to find one that feels comfortable for you.

Don't get discouraged when you first get an air brush. Like others have said you need to practice before starting on a major project. But it will be worth the practice. An air brush is a great tool to have in your hobby tool inventory. I know mine have made my hobby more enjoyable and I think my models are better.

Cheers,
Larry

Date: 07/27/14 20:56
Author: Inthehole

I just got a Neo for Iwata TRN2 which is a dual action trigger brush. It is side feed so I can paint in any direction, even up. I use it for 1" scale and love it. Will never go back to rattle cans again.

Date: 07/28/14 06:30
Author: tomstp

I have used Binks for 40 years. Love the simplicity of cleaning it.

Date: 07/28/14 15:51
Author: Dilworth

I use a paachse h model and a vl both are great

Date: 07/28/14 18:43
Author: Trainatic

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and tips! For those of you that use Badger, from what I've seen, they have a 200-20 and a 200NH model, and I don't really notice a difference in them. Can someone clarify this for me?

Date: 07/29/14 08:52
Author: herronpeter

I personally have 2 Grex XT's. They use a trigger and grip like a pistol instead of the push button on top which I find 10 times better to use-much easier air control and easier on the hand when using it for a long time. Since I have had these, about 5 years, both Iwata and Passche have released trigger types.

Peter

Date: 07/29/14 12:41
Author: SPED

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/paint/deluxe-airbrush-kit-95810.html

I have a Binks Wren, well actually several Wren guns, a Paashe Model H and a few more that I can't remember. I was going to spoof you by saying go to Harbor Freight but I found they have a good gun, reviewed about 4.5 or more out of 5. I may just go get one myself, they're only 20 bucks.
I tell people in my airbrush paint clinic to go to HF and get a $9.95 gun so they can experiment with it but this Deluxe gun might be the best bargain around. It looks like a double action and I do not recommend those to anyone that wants to paint anything unless you are weathering. I'm going to check it out.

Ed

Date: 08/25/14 01:21
Author: conraildan3

If u want an inexpensive airbrush, Harbor Freight Tools has them for $20 & the compressor is $80 it comes with an airbrush. Acrylic paints work best especially with cleaning the airbrush.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0519 seconds