Home Open Account Help 229 users online

Model Railroading > What did I use to clean Lionel motors?

Date: 08/18/14 03:24
What did I use to clean Lionel motors?
Author: lilwes

Many years ago I collected Lionel. When I had a dirty motor I would clean it with something but can't remember what. It was a spray, but I also remember something that you could dunk the motor in, soak it then take it out and put power to ti and all kinds of junk came out of it. then yo could take it apart and lube it well. What were the items I was using? I think the spray was a TV tuner cleaner, but not sure. Thanks for any help in advance.
later...Wes

Wes Chiles
Topeka, KS

Date: 08/18/14 05:54
Re: What did I use to clean Lionel motors?
Author: RichM

A bygone era. Electric motor cleaners were TCE trichloroethylene or 1,1, 1 trichloroethane. Tuner cleaner was basically refrigerant 12. All great cleaners, but a combination of carcinogenic properties on exposure and groundwater contamination plus ozone depletion took them away.
There are newer cleaners that use bromine instead of chlorine but they're not widely available, expensive, and also are deemed to have an ozone risk.

You can use a hydrocarbon solvent that will evaporate but you need to be sure you're in a well ventilated space and the residual is all gone when you reconnect the juice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/14 08:25 by RichM.

Date: 08/18/14 19:00
Re: What did I use to clean Lionel motors?
Author: Streamliner

I always used LGB "Smoke Fluid & Rail Cleaner." Works great!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0348 seconds