Home Open Account Help 196 users online

Model Railroading > Large scale again

Date: 08/21/14 11:16
Large scale again
Author: tomstp

1. David Hannah's railroad supply heavy 1.6" 2-8-2 is getting a look over by lots of people at the Hals track in Houston.

2. Bob Gray of Columbus Miss is preparing his new 2-8-0 for running at Jack Haskins track back in the early 1990's.

3. A GP-50 and I have forgotten whose it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/14 11:24 by tomstp.

Date: 08/21/14 11:22
Re: Large scale again

1. Billy Chafin's GP-38. The engine is now owned by Harvey Mattison of Caney Ok.

2. This is s 2.5" narrow gauge reefer with natural weathering by Rich Ulin. A variety of equipment in 1.5 , 1.6 and 2.5" scales always was present at the Comanche and Indian Gap.

3. This the turntable in Comanche Yard of the C&IG. I was multi-purpose. One track from the right came from and unloading bay for overflow engines when the Indian Gap engine terminal and roundhouse was full. And, it was at the end of a branch and all incoming engines had to be turned around here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/14 18:25 by tomstp.

Date: 08/21/14 12:55
Author: Kimball

Thanks for these - Wow, that first turntable is the largest LS I have ever seen. Some guys could turn their whole train on that thing! LS myself

Date: 08/21/14 13:31

It would hold a Santa Fe 2-10-4 with ease.

Date: 08/21/14 15:12
Author: superchief73

I would like to seek out the possibility of building a steam engine(unsure which) How does one approach a project of such.

Javier Cervantes
Castle Rock , CO

Date: 08/21/14 15:55
Author: DKay

superchief73 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would like to seek out the possibility of
> building a steam engine(unsure which) How does one
> approach a project of such.

I would think a sound knowledge in Lathe and machining would be a must to be able to build one of these beauties.I have often thought about getting into this part of the hobby,but knowing nothing about the basics has put paid to such notions.
Regards,DK

Date: 08/21/14 16:49
Author: santafedan

DKay Wrote:
> superchief73 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I would like to seek out the possibility of
> > building a steam engine(unsure which) How does
> one
> > approach a project of such.
>
>
> I would think a sound knowledge in Lathe and
> machining would be a must to be able to build one
> of these beauties.I have often thought about
> getting into this part of the hobby,but knowing
> nothing about the basics has put paid to such
> notions.
> Regards,DK

Try discoverlivesteam.com for info.

Date: 08/21/14 17:07
Author: santafedan

Kimball Wrote:
> Thanks for these - Wow, that first turntable is
> the largest LS I have ever seen. Some guys could
> turn their whole train on that thing! LS myself

Here is our turntable. It is a little over 16 feet I think.

Date: 08/21/14 17:47
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Here are a few table shots on our turntable, near Fort Worth, TX

First is a big diesel owned by a BNSF employee

TomSTP and his gorgeous T&P #300 4-6-0

Me, riding the turntable on my Cotton Belt ten-wheeler

Date: 08/21/14 18:07

Superchief buy a copy of Live Steam magazine. You will find several ads from people who build live steam and part suppliers. The best value is to buy Allen Models 10 wheeler castings. But, you are right that there is considerable machining, whole bunch of it. The tooling and machines required to build a steam engine is lathe, mill, break, metal roller, drill press, taps, drills, pipe dies, and the ability to use them. In short in your case, you would be better off and it would be less expensive to have one built by an experienced builder. Just a guess but I would say you are looking at $20,000 or there about. You can also go to the web to Live Steam for sale. Used engines are offered there all the time.

Some advice: 4-6-0's "track" better than 2-6-0's pony trucks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/14 19:15 by tomstp.

Date: 08/21/14 18:17

Here is a good look at my Allen ten-wheeler.

Date: 08/21/14 19:20
Author: penncentral74

Say! Those deezuls are certainly handsome! Some of the larger scale locomotives resemble a science experiment gone awry

Date: 08/21/14 20:04
Author: livesteamer

1. Check out the Want Ads on discoverlivesteam.com.

2. Get involved with the nearest live steam large scale railroad club or track in your area.

3. If you want to own and operate steam, somebody needs to mentor you in the fine art of operating a steam locomotive. I was fortunate that a Santa Fe trained steam locomotive engineer took me under his wing to mentor me in the art of steam engines.

4. If you want to just operate a large scale model trains, think about a diesel profiled locomotive for a starter.

5. REPEAT #2 GET INVOLVED IN A LOCAL CLUB OR PRIVATE TRACK IN YOUR LOCAL AREA. Ask someone to mentor you

Marty Harrison
Knob Noster, MO

Date: 08/22/14 13:00
Author: Harlock

Don't buy into the idea that getting into live steam requires a lot of money. Most live steamers are regular blue collar folks.

The first step is to get involved with a local club. livesteamtracks.info can help you find one near you. You can learn to run club engines and learn from others about construction, maintenance and operation. you'll figure out what you really want to do once you have some experience with other people's equipment. You may also meet people who have shops who are willing to help you with your project.

Online, the most active board for live steamers is the chaski.org "home machinist" forums, there are four sub-forums dedicated to live steam and riding scale railroading topics, including diesel and electric outlines as well.

Books -

There are two books that are essential for the beginner hobby machinist:

"So you want to build a live steam locomotive" by Joe Nelson, from Village Press: https://secure.villagepress.com/store/items/detail/item/855

And "The Pennsylvania A3 Switcher (The First Project for the Beginner)" by Kozo Hiraoka. Even if you don't plan to build an A3, the book shows you step by step show you how to machine any part on a basic locomotive. It is the only book that guides you through the machining process for each part one setup at a time. It is hand illustrated and drafted by Kozo, who is an accomplished retired industrial engineer.

General advice:

Another important point is to not feel you have to build to 7.5" gauge in 1 1/2" scale or larger as a first project. A smaller scale and gauge locomotive is much more manageable and it is easy to build a 3.5" gauge or 4 3/4" gauge track around a suburban backyard or around the house. Smaller models require much smaller and more affordable machines, less shop space, and less material costs.

Another suggestion is to build a simple stationary engine as a first project. there are kits available from Coles Power Models and Tiny Power, among others. A project like this will teach you all of the basic operations you will need to build a locomotive later.

Regarding Allen Models prints - I would not build one as a beginner machinist unless you have a lot of help and advice close by. The plans will give you a beautiful, well running engine, but the finer details are left to be inferred by the builder, they are a basic set of drawings which require skill to interpret and build. Having some experience building parts and machining before tackling a standard drawing set is advised.

Regards,

-Mike

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/14 13:02 by Harlock.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0749 seconds