Home Open Account Help 322 users online

Model Railroading > Just had to have it!

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 08/31/14 12:25
Just had to have it!
Author: sphauler

Has there ever been a model that you just had to have even though it doesn't quite fit your model railroad? My case in point and it might sound stupid to others but hey thats how I roll is this beauty Athearn Genesis "torpedo boat" GP9. I have been drooling over this locomotive ever since they came out. My layout is modeled for late summer 1953 and the SP didn't take delivery of these units until April, 1955. There were some pretty big changes after 1954/55 that I didn't want to model mostly bringing the end to steam. On my layout steam is still king. I plan to run it on occasion and on friends layouts. Actually this is just one of those "had to have" models in my collection.

So what was that model you had to have?

Ryan
sphauler
http://ryansp4449.wix.com/spmodeling

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/14 13:07 by sphauler.

Date: 08/31/14 13:02
Re: Just had to have it!
Author: ChrisCampi

Yes, the 5623 was a must have for me as well as many of us in Niles Canyon. She's a beauty!

Chris

Date: 08/31/14 13:22
Author: Westbound

While I agree that it is a very nice model, I still bear a grudge against those engines. Living in California's San Joaquin Valley I saw only steam on the SP as a boy. Around the summer of 1956 steam seemed to just dry up and these, aside from the Fs on the Daylight, were what took over. Therefore, none have appeared on my layout!

Date: 08/31/14 13:35
Author: railwaybaron

"Keene" as it looks, frankly I would rather have mine in grey & red to power my Del Monte.

Date: 08/31/14 14:58
Author: toledopatch

My "just have to have it" will be, when they come out, one or more Rapido FL9s. Those are the engines I grew up with in suburban New York. So even though I don't intend to model New Haven or later territories where these engines ran, I'll probably get a couple -- especially since I've already received several ConnDOT commuter coaches as gifts....

Date: 08/31/14 15:35
Author: stampedej

My 'must have' was the DDA40X Centennial (I'm up to 3 and counting). Having grown up around the U.P., that was THE locomotive which defined the U.P. in the '70's. Add a 'Fast Forty' and you're in business!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/31/14 17:04
Author: dcmkris

Wow I could have a ton of these but since I saw most of them in person I won't count them.

So how about something I never saw in person. Well I model the Milwaukee Road in 1976 and
a modern day version. Back about 20 years ago I was helping a friend at a train show he
couldn't afford to pay me but instead offered me anything on his table.

I looked over everything and once I spotted this guy I knew that was it. Keep in mind I
don't model Santa Fe steam, nor is 1976 really a hot bed of steam for anyone else. In fact
Santa Fe retired this class 22 years earlier in 1954. On top of all that Berkshire's really
don't intrigue me like a 4-8-4 or an articulated would.

But the moment I spotted this guy that was it I needed to have it. I guess its just beefy
enough and has just a nice amount of junk on her, to make her look tough!

Kris

Date: 08/31/14 18:41
Author: osp1729

I model CSX in 1992/1993 between Willard, Ohio and Garrett, Indiana. This line did not see a lot of run through power during that time frame, so I have little justification for a lot of foreign power on the layout. But when Athearn came out with the RTR GP60M and GP60B in the classic red and silver Warbonnet scheme I just had to have a quartet of them. The real units always caught my fancy when they came out in 1990. I always thought it was one of the classiest paint schemes out there.

Shawn

Date: 08/31/14 19:43
Author: TomG

Ryan, thats a good looking engine and it looks great on your layout. I hope you enjoy it and have fun with it.

Date: 09/01/14 00:51
Author: smallplanet2

Your website photo gallery #1, upper left photo, may I ask what type of switch stands are in the photo? They look great! Are they functional? Are they actually manual throws?

Thanks, Steve

Date: 09/01/14 01:28
Author: MrMRL

Not to hijack this wonderful thread, but my must haves were Kato's INRD SD9043MAC models. Absolutely stunning. Even better, corrected and customized!

Mr. INRD

Date: 09/01/14 04:58
Author: NSTopHat

A SCL #1776 U36B with a scale width hood. The Athearn version doesn't count.

Russ

Posted from Android

Date: 09/01/14 07:15
Author: P5r24

My "Just had to have it"
was the L&N 1405.

I'm a real softy for Alco locomotives in the diesel era
and Espee had a lot of L&N pooled power visit their
rails thru the years - mostly on the southern part of its system.

The 1405 is a newer Bowser unit and runs like a Swiss watch.
I weathered her up some and she fits right in with the
rest of my motive power from the 60's up thru the 70's

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/14 07:16 by P5r24.

Date: 09/01/14 08:58
Author: TCnR

Been there as well, the Athearn UPRR WP Heritage unit. A little bit huge compared to the tunnel motors and SD9's.

Date: 09/01/14 09:44
Author: sphauler

smallplanet2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Your website photo gallery #1, upper left photo,
> may I ask what type of switch stands are in the
> photo? They look great! Are they functional? Are
> they actually manual throws?
>
> Thanks, Steve

For more information on my switch stands check out the project's page on my website. Unfortunately they are not functional. I had planned to make them turn when the switch is thrown but it was a little more difficult then I thought so I lost interest.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/01/14 13:20
Author: superchief73

Sometimes you got to have that model! I bought two SDP45's after visiting the Hobby Shop. The engines are the only Bloody Nose SP units I own.
It is good that Steam Remains on your Layout!

Javier Cervantes
Castle Rock , CO

Date: 09/01/14 23:46
Author: smallplanet2

Thank You

Date: 09/02/14 10:48
Author: calsubd

There was a long (seemed like) dry spell of Providence and Worcester engines, now I've got 6 in the last 6 months

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 09/02/14 11:42
Author: UPJeff

Ryan,

Real or fantasy? For fantasy I really like the late ALCos such as the C628 or C630 but my railroad, Santa Fe, did not have any. I would like to see one painted in Santa Fe.

Jeff Smith
Lakewood, CA
RailMaster Hobbies

Date: 09/02/14 14:00
Author: hankbrank15

Hope your maintenance crew will repair that handrail stanchion about half way back.
I love SP and have an "un-realistic" mix of locos from early diesel to modern C44-9W's..just cause I saw almost nothing but gray with red noses growing up in central CA so just about anything SP will do from any era.
Beautiful quality photo BTW.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.071 seconds