Home Open Account Help 358 users online

Model Railroading > 3d Printed models question

Date: 09/12/14 19:53
3d Printed models question
Author: Y-SFan

I just purchased a 3d printed Conrail MT4 slug shell and this is my first printed item. What is the process to get the thing ready for paint and what kind of paint is compatible? The model was printed by Shapeways in their frosted high detail plastic. I got the model today and it looks good but it does need lots of detailing to get it up and ready but is a real good starting point and a lot faster than scratch building. Thanks for any information on how to finish this model.

Ben

Date: 09/13/14 04:08
Re: 3d Printed models question
Author: kgmontreal

Paint adherence on resin is always a problem. The model must be thoroughly degreased with detergent and rinsed well. Some modelers use an orange-based degreaser such as "Goo Gone". I tend to stay away from Goo Gone because it can leave a sticky residue if not rinsed off properly.

Once the model is degreased do not touch it with your fingers. Apply a coat(s) of Tamiya Fine Surface Primer from the spray can. For resin models I try to choose a paint scheme that is one color and doesn't require masking.

KG

Date: 09/13/14 11:44
Author: ALCO630

Who made the slug?

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Date: 09/13/14 11:58
Author: 3rdboxcar

Hi Ben

The best stuff for cleaning Shapeways FUD models is Bestine, widely available in most hardware stores [I believe], let the model soak for a few hours, Bestine is not available here in the UK so I use Non acetone nail varnish cleaner which does the same job, give the model a good rinse in cold water then let dry out thoroughly, it will go from being opaque to white and feel dry to the touch. As the previous post a coat of primer is definitely required if using enamels, otherwise the paint seems to take forever to dry, why I have no idea, I have been able to use acrylics without a primer.
Another thing about FUD is that if you warm it under warm water or warm very gently with a hair drier you can manipulate the model and it will retain its altered shape when cooled.

Alexander
3D designer, my shop [Boxcar models] at Shapeways has a variety of items, mainly N scale but just completed a HO SD40-3 Wabtec cab for CSX

Date: 09/13/14 14:24

The slug is made by Jody G. Here is a link to the item.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/1997033/hood-section-conrail-mt4-slugs.html?materialId=61

Ben

Posted from Android

Date: 09/13/14 17:22
Author: Geodyssey

Y-SFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The slug is made by Jody G. Here is a link to the
> item.
>
> http://www.shapeways.com/model/1997033/hood-secti
> on-conrail-mt4-slugs.html?materialId=61
>
> Ben
>

Does anyone have photos of the model? Those are digital renderings, aka drawings.

Date: 09/13/14 20:38

Sorry about the pictures but that is what I had close by that was a contrasting color to make the model stand out. There is a picture of both sides and the brake wheel end. This is right out of the package as I am still in the planning stage of this project.

Ben

Date: 09/14/14 00:21
Author: pmack

kgmontreal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Paint adherence on resin is always a problem. The
> model must be thoroughly degreased with detergent
> and rinsed well. Some modelers use an
> orange-based degreaser such as "Goo Gone". I tend
> to stay away from Goo Gone because it can leave a
> sticky residue if not rinsed off properly.
>
> Once the model is degreased do not touch it with
> your fingers. Apply a coat(s) of Tamiya Fine
> Surface Primer from the spray can. For resin
> models I try to choose a paint scheme that is one
> color and doesn't require masking.
>
> KG

RP parts don't have oil on them, at least none of them I've ever worked with did. Oil on resin parts comes from excessive mold release or poorly mixing the resin itself.

When I prep RP parts, after washing off the support material with water, I lightly sand them to get rid of growth lines and prime and sand again. If the parts are supposed to be clear like a bottle, more sanding and a final coat of tinted Future.

Date: 09/17/14 21:15
Author: ATSFSD26

Bestine isn't available here in Australia either. The underlying chemical is Heptane, which is available here as UNDU glue remover.
I have a couple of pneumatic trailer offered by BAZTRAINS thru Shapeways, and I'm very wary of what I should use to clean them in preparation for painting - and what paint to use.
Lots of vertical learning curve here!

The stuff on the surface of FUD parts is wax - not oil, but it will have the same effect if you try to paint over it. It will result in a crap job.

And that is what the heptane is used to remove.
Dave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0759 seconds