Home Open Account Help 391 users online

Model Railroading > Bus line and feeder help please

Date: 09/13/14 16:14
Bus line and feeder help please
Author: Atsf814

Hello all;
Not an electrical genius so asking for help from the layout experts. I am running a suspended overhead HO layout through two rooms. The bus line run will be approximately 100 feet long. At that length I was thinking 18 gauge solid for the bus line and 22 gauge solid feeders, with each feeder being only about a 4 inch long run at most. Power will be an MRC 6200( Output 0-14 VDC 27 VA Max).
From what I know (or think I know) power drops off sooner with a larger gauge wire like a 12 instead of an 18 gauge.
So....will the 18 gauge feeder work or should I jump to a 22 for the bus as well to avoid powewr drop off issues.?
Keep it simple if possible so I can understand it. And of course any and all replies are very appreciated.

Almost forgot. This will be straight DC. Not DCC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/14 16:27 by Atsf814.

Date: 09/13/14 16:36
Re: Bus line and feeder help please
Author: MMD

Power drops off with the "Smaller" wire, go to 16 - 12 for your bus wire.

Malcolm
New Zealand.

Date: 09/13/14 16:38
Author: SeaboardMan

Smaller the wire, more resistance. I wouldn't go less than number 14 for the bus. 22feeders will be fine.

Date: 09/13/14 16:38
Author: NSDTK

Larger the wire IE smaller the number the easier it carry's power with less resistance.

Date: 09/14/14 09:39
Author: nicknack

Another trick to keep a uniform voltage is to run the bus wires (+ and -) in opposite directions under the track. Then the net drop will be the same everywhere.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0482 seconds