Home Open Account Help 219 users online

Model Railroading > Weathered CN ES44DC

Date: 09/14/14 17:40
Weathered CN ES44DC
Author: inCHI

Yesterday I saw a CN SD70M-2 that was typically filthy. Someone had written "where is the soap" in the grime and the only clear paint looks like its where crewmembers come into contact while on the walkway.

A few months ago I finished a CN ES44DC that tried to mimic this CN look without going to far. The SD70M-2's seem to be grime magnets; the GE's seem to be grimy mostly on the underbody, rather than all over, which is what I went for.

Someday, a manufacturer will release a C40-8M in CN and BC Rail, and then this engine will finally have a (filthy) partner.

The ES44DC was weathered with oil paints, which I find great for adding a light layer of grime on the hood, for example.

1. Filthy CN SD70M-2

2/3. One side

Date: 09/14/14 17:43
Re: Weathered CN ES44DC

4. One reason I got this engine in the first place was the working marker lights. Again, waiting on that C40-8M so this can run as DPU...

5. Detail shot: Mimicking something I've seen, I added a bit of lighter grey on the leading edge of the truck faces. (Same effect is visible on the NS C40-9W in the first picture)

6. In the weeds

Date: 09/14/14 18:11
Author: tx_trainman54

Very nice weathering! Looks very realistic!

Date: 09/14/14 18:37
Author: csxwilsmere

Yes, very nice. Just enough to make it look "right" without overdoing it. I like how the trucks turned out, as well.

Great work.

-Don

Date: 09/14/14 19:06
Author: icancmp193

Like!

Tom Y

Date: 09/14/14 19:09
Author: rschonfelder

The weathering is subtle for a Canadian unit. To me, it looks clean.

That is not meant to critise your work as I too think it looks good. When weathering with oil based paints, what do you use for the thinner?

Rick

Date: 09/14/14 19:12

rschonfelder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The weathering is subtle for a Canadian unit. To
> me, it looks clean.

I don't disagree! I often probably overdo it in other cases so I tried to be a bit more subtle this time. If I bought a CP AC44 I would just dip it in brown...

When weathering with oil
> based paints, what do you use for the thinner?
>

Gamsol, slightly less awful than turpentine and other stuff. The key, to me, is have a really soft broader brush to move stuff around once it is applied with any other brush.

Date: 09/14/14 21:16
Author: rwa14

inCHI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Someday, a manufacturer will release a C40-8M in
> CN and BC Rail, and then this engine will finally
> have a (filthy) partner.

Hopefully! I've been waiting for years for a C40-8M and the Overland's are just a bit out of my price range.

The engine looks superb. Has that "just looks right" feel about it. Not too much grime, but enough to notice.

Date: 09/15/14 06:35
Author: bigkidpgh

really nice weathering job - static grass looks great too!

Date: 09/15/14 14:20
Author: Jimmies

Your engine looks great! Real nice touch making the cleaner areas at the latches below the cab. You clearly know what you're doing.

Jim

Date: 09/16/14 09:32
Author: RFandPFan

Very nice job, thanks for the tips.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0567 seconds