Home Open Account Help 269 users online

Model Railroading > The Weeds Are Growing!

Date: 09/15/14 05:07
The Weeds Are Growing!
Author: RGDave

Some weedy scenery is starting to finally grow along the Chicago Line on the Conrail Onondaga Cutoff - now the track department is going to have to set up a budget for weed spraying. :-)

~RGDave

www.onondagacutoff.blogspot.com

Date: 09/15/14 07:07
Re: The Weeds Are Growing!
Author: rrhistorian

Great photo - reminds me of the well maintained line as I saw it in the 1990s. Who makes the ballast? It looks like you are using a blend - is that right.

Date: 09/15/14 07:21
Author: inCHI

Nice rail weathering too.

Date: 09/15/14 08:23
Author: warrenpweiss

When I first saw the photo I was struck by how great the ballast and track look, but I see that has already been noted by two great modelers, so I'll just second their comments.

Warren

Date: 09/16/14 05:38
Author: RGDave

Thanks for the kind words!

I used several layers of ballast by Arizona Rock & Mineral, #1352 'UP/Silverton/WP Bold Gray' which was a very good match for 1990's-era prototype photos in the area I am modeling. I also used some #1032 'Black Cinder' and #1222 'Yard Mix' on the shoulders to blend the mainline areas into the scenery.

The track was weathered with a spray can of Floquil Rail Tie Brown before ballasting, and was then touched up with a brush and my own mixture of flat rust shades.

I am working on improving the techniques and still have a lot to learn about the foliage and trees, but I'm excited at how well the track is turning out!

Thanks again!
~RGDave
www.onondagacutoff.blogspot.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0307 seconds