Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Model Railroading > Plastic Fantastic 4-4-0

Date: 09/15/14 15:58
Plastic Fantastic 4-4-0
Author: CPengineer

My family rode the Durango & Silverton for the first time in 1981 (I was 6 years old) We stayed at the Durango KOA, which I remember had a large loop of what was probably 7.5" gauge track. My parents purchased this train for me at the KOA giftshop. I've never seen another like, so I don't know the manufacturer (I've always been curious about that) The 4-4-0 is roughly HOn3 scale in size and made out of a very soft plastic; it's stamped "Hong Kong" on the underside. It always bothered me that there was no tender, and the cars were way out of scale (and European). Once I became a model railroader, I planned to paint and mount it on an HO flatcar as a derelict heading for scrap, but I never got around to it. Can anyone supply additional details as to the manufacturer?

Date: 09/15/14 16:36
Re: Plastic Fantastic 4-4-0
Author: wabash2800

CP, its just a toy not a mainstream model. If the plastic is soft, it's likely a very low volume run that wasn't injection molded but rather molded by hand.

Date: 09/15/14 16:40

I never claimed it was a mainstream model, but stuff like this is usually distributed in mass quantities.

Date: 09/15/14 17:38
Author: NSDTK

What's stamped there in the center of the bottom of the coach?

Date: 09/15/14 18:12
Author: rrb

Haha, thanks for posting this. I got one of these identical little sets when I was a kid. Do you still have the track or any pictures of it too? I still have that semaphore, and actually repainted it silver and have it on the kid's model layout. That's the only piece I didn't lose..lol.

Date: 09/16/14 04:01

"Made in Hong Kong" is what's on the bottom of the coach. And no, I don't have the track anymore. That little train would never stay on the rails!

Date: 09/16/14 05:11
Author: randgust

Oddly enough, it looks exactly in the same proportions as a 1960's "Matchbox" 4-4-0 I've had since childhood. It looks like either the Matchbox one was used as a design reference or a pattern. It's a larger one.

http://www.theauctioncentre.co.uk/catalog/210/291.jpg

Date: 09/16/14 07:03
Author: RichM

Exactly what I was thinking. I have that Matchbox locomotive around someplace, I'd strongly suggest the plastic molds were made from it, the proportions look identical!

Rich

Date: 09/16/14 16:43
Author: highgreengraphics

A little superdetailing, and that could be quite the model, and you can add your choice of tenders, too! === === = === JLH

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0397 seconds