Home Open Account Help 381 users online

Model Railroading > HO gauge statues, Roosevelt...???

Date: 09/29/14 20:32
HO gauge statues, Roosevelt...???
Author: steam290

I want to put a statue of FDR in my HO gauge railroad. Does anyone know of an appropriate figure that could work as an HO gauge FDR statue?

Date: 09/29/14 23:04
Re: HO gauge statues, Roosevelt...???
Author: grahamline

I'd check the war-gaming sites for scale figures.

Date: 09/29/14 23:50
Author: markloos

Date: 09/30/14 05:15
Author: RichM

Standing?

Date: 09/30/14 07:14
Author: fbe

I think there might be some flexibility about the scale. FDR was "larger than life" to a lot of people so an O size statue on an HO layout might not be out of line.

A figure of a standing commuter in a suit and a hat might be pretty close but finding one with glasses would probably be difficult. MR did articles about using wire forms covered in plaster and carved into the proper shape of people if you know of someone with those talents or you are feeling adventurous.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 09/30/14 18:06
Author: RuleG

RichM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Standing?

This question really interesting. Accordingly, I searched for images of Franklin Roosevelt statues on Bing.com. The search generated photos of are statues depicting FDR in a wheelchair, seated and standing.

The wheelchair statue is at the Franklin Roosevelt Memorial in Washington, DC. I would guess there was some controversy about this as FDR was adamant about no photos being taken of him in a wheelchair. Others could point out that he was (and continues to be) an inspiration for persons with disabilities.

The most common images were statues of FDR seated, by himself, with his wife Eleanor and with Winston Churchill.

There was one image of a statue showing FDR standing. It is in the Kelvingrove Museum in Glasgow, Scotland.

Date: 09/30/14 20:21
Author: steam290

RuleG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> RichM Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Standing?
>
> This question really interesting. Accordingly, I
> searched for images of Franklin Roosevelt statues
> on Bing.com. The search generated photos of are
> statues depicting FDR in a wheelchair, seated and
> standing.
>
> The wheelchair statue is at the Franklin Roosevelt
> Memorial in Washington, DC. I would guess there
> was some controversy about this as FDR was adamant
> about no photos being taken of him in a
> wheelchair. Others could point out that he was
> (and continues to be) an inspiration for persons
> with disabilities.
>
> The most common images were statues of FDR seated,
> by himself, with his wife Eleanor and with Winston
> Churchill.
>
> There was one image of a statue showing FDR
> standing. It is in the Kelvingrove Museum in
> Glasgow, Scotland.

Agreed. I bought one 2 of the marks FDR figurines, but they would be huge in the HO scale world, (about 19 scale feet).
I think an satue of him sitting or standing would be good. Recall, most people of the 1940s were not aware of how afflicted he really was. I am modeling the mid 40s to 1950, so not too long after FDR's death. I've thought about making a tiny FDR myself out of clay. Thats the best plan so far, other than modifying a 40s commuter in a suit.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2396 seconds