Home Open Account Help 223 users online

Model Railroading > Competition for Ebay?

Date: 09/30/14 07:25
Competition for Ebay?
Author: wabash2800

I did not see it, but a friend told me the founder of Alibaba was on 60 minutes the other day. Reportedly, it is a rags to richs story with a Chinese man staring it with $1.

Statistically, just before going on the stock market and getting money from Wall Street, Alibaba has far exceeded Ebay in sales and does not do auctions. (I wonder if a lot of those sales are Chinese buying products from around the world via Alibaba.)

Has anyone checked it out or used it? Will it be a market place for things like model trains and books? What about used items? Can one use Paypal or will our money draw interest for Alibaba on a float with Chinese banks?

I just heard that Paypal and Ebay are going to split off, as Paypal is growing faster than Ebay.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 09/30/14 07:50
Re: Competition for Ebay?
Author: BAB

It doesn't do auctions so guess that part is the answer to one question beyond that the market place will prevail.

Date: 09/30/14 13:44
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Alibaba is a direct competitor to Amazon much more than it is to eBay.

Date: 09/30/14 16:32
Author: CSabresXr1

Except Alibaba doesn't have large in-house distribution networks like Amazon. Alibaba is just a service (similar to eBay) in which they provide a place for consumers to shop and connect them with a seller of a product, brand of products, or entire warehouses. It is formatted more similarly to Amazon in the regards that most items are there for an indefinite period of time until sold.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/14 16:33 by CSabresXr1.

Date: 09/30/14 19:10

So does it have potential for our market? Is there just a membership fee and how is payment made and received?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/14 19:10 by wabash2800.

Date: 09/30/14 20:08
Author: rapidotrains

We've used Alibaba before. It's more of a business-to-business site.

For instance, if we want to include some freebies with our models, such as napkins or glasses, Alibaba is a good way to find suppliers in China who can make those.

The Chinese version is much more extensive. Our manager in China, Colin, finds far more suppliers through that than I can see from North America. The people who list on Alibaba in English are usually agents who add a percentage to the price, whereas on Alibaba in China you are often dealing directly with suppliers.

-Jason

Date: 09/30/14 20:17

Thanks Jason.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0268 seconds