Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Model Railroading > Starruca bridge progress

Date: 10/16/14 17:10
Starruca bridge progress
Author: jobrazy

It's coming along - Expect to install it next month when all the other stuff around it (hillsides, tunnels) get done. For the last 4 feet of this construction - it sure is taking a lot of time and is a major PITA!

J

Joel Brazy
Coatesville, PA

Date: 10/16/14 18:40
Re: Starruca bridge progress
Author: icancmp193

Major achievement! Will the D&H run underneath?

Tom Y

Date: 10/16/14 18:49
Author: barrydraper

Wow! That is going to look great installed.

Barry Draper

Date: 10/16/14 19:01
Author: warrenpweiss

For some reason these projects always take significantly longer than expected, but in your case Joel, the result will be well worth. Outstanding attention to detail.

Warren

Date: 10/16/14 19:37
Author: funnelfan

Great Job!

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 10/16/14 22:46
Author: superchief73

WOW!!!

Javier Cervantes
Castle Rock , CO

Date: 10/17/14 08:48
Author: penncentral74

...where's the D&H?

Date: 10/17/14 11:44
Author: jburek

Outstanding ... Excellent...

Date: 10/17/14 13:24
Re: Starrucca bridge progress
Author: toledopatch

penncentral74 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...where's the D&H?

....and the road, and the creek (hahaha)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/14 14:59 by toledopatch.

Date: 10/17/14 14:42

And so that's where this bridge goes 'off the tracks'.

Because it is on an upper level deck, the road, and the true prototypical elements won't exist. I am still struggling with how to make the transition on both sides since it is 14" lower than the rest of the upper deck. The bridge will be on a hillside below that slopes to the lower level.

I hope to get it installed by thanksgiving or so.

Thanks for the compliments!

J

Joel Brazy
Coatesville, PA

Date: 10/17/14 14:58
Author: toledopatch

jobrazy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And so that's where this bridge goes 'off the
> tracks'.
>
> Because it is on an upper level deck, the road,
> and the true prototypical elements won't exist. I
> am still struggling with how to make the
> transition on both sides since it is 14" lower
> than the rest of the upper deck. The bridge will
> be on a hillside below that slopes to the lower
> level.
>
> I hope to get it installed by thanksgiving or so.
>
> Thanks for the compliments!
>
> J

It's a beautiful piece of work, that's for sure. Are you modeling a particular era?

Date: 10/17/14 15:50
Author: rschonfelder

Good looking work. Is there any chance of a brief explanation of your procedures for getting to this stage? Is it scratchbuilt and how did you do it? I wonder if you hand carved each stone?

Rick

Date: 10/18/14 02:32

Hi guys,

No particular era, this is my first layout as an adult. I am about 4 years into it, and learning buckets.

For Rick,
This is a casting set that had been 'residing' in the owner (Paul) of Lin's Junction's basement for years. I was original going to build a double track steel bridge and we talked about it, then he mentioned this set. I took him up on the offer and here we are.

It took a lot of sanding and matching, then mixing hydrocal for the joints and spaces and regarding the stone. About 3 weeks of work every night. It is assembled with white glue on a 3/4" plywood plank with 2x4's at each end for the end arches. It measures 48"l x 24"h x 8"w. Once built and dried, I used a combination of washes and powders (post several test fittings!) to color the hydrocal and now I am working on edge scenic aspects simultaneously with the surrounding spaces flanking the bridge to try and make a somewhat seamless transition. Not sure how that will work.

Unfortunately, once it is installed, due to space limitations, I have to crawl under the layout, open my sliding door, crawl out and then work on the bridge from outside! I did not plan on an upper deck, so .....no plan, tough choices....part of my schooling I guess :). That's why I need to basically get it and the flaking areas complete prior to install or I am s.o.l.....

JB

Joel Brazy
Coatesville, PA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0417 seconds