Home Open Account Help 386 users online

Model Railroading > CSX and NS executive trains modeling

Date: 10/18/14 12:09
CSX and NS executive trains modeling
Author: PeaBock619

I'm looking into having custom painted passenger cars in CSX and NS executive colors. What cars were bought by them and what models are available in HO? Thanks

Date: 10/18/14 13:40
Re: CSX and NS executive trains modeling
Author: retcsxcfm

PeaBock619 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm looking into having custom painted passenger
> cars in CSX and NS executive colors. What cars
> were bought by them and what models are available
> in HO? Thanks

I don't think any of the cars can be done without
a lot of kit-bashing.

Uncle Joe,12 miles east of Tampa.
Modeling the Seaboard Air Line in late 64,early 65.

Date: 10/18/14 14:19
Author: BNModeler

Painting cars is no big deal. Decals, another story.

Date: 10/18/14 14:51
Author: NSTopHat

For the NS Business Train, both Overland and Bachmann have done NS' 'Delaware'. I have the Overland version, but not the Bachmann, so I do not know how close it actually is. A couple of the cars can be fudged, i.e. the 29, 536 & 540, as they were N&W P3 coaches, and NS #28 was a N&W P1 coach. MTH makes a P3 coach. Everything else in the NS Business train is a heavy kitbash. ShellScale makes a decal set that covers most of the current NS Business Train, as it was originally produced prior to the CR Merger.

Not sure what you would need for the CSX train, but you could cobble decals together for the lettering.

Regards,
Russ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/14 15:03 by NSTopHat.

Date: 10/18/14 15:37
Author: dcmkris

For CSX it's a pure custom job on the decals as none are commercial available.

For Norfolk Southern, Shell Scale Decals does the passenger car decals and Microscale
offers the locomotives.

Any cars can be painted into the corporate colors, the question is how accurate do you want them?

Several cars can be found that are close stand in's for the various business car fleets. Then again
many of them can be replicated to a very close degree by using available brass sides that are correct.

Then there are always scratch built cars for those that don't have a commercial model available. We've
done some Conrail and Union Pacific business cars for customers which did not have a commercial model
available.

In the next month or so (depending on customers project priority list) we will begin on a project for a
customer to recreate several of Chessie Systems track inspection and office cars. We will also be
completing an Amtrak car and BNSF cars not commercially available.

All in all either train could be done it's just a matter of time and money.

Good luck with your project.

Kris

Date: 10/19/14 04:37
Author: BNModeler

Try Union Station Products.
I was looking for the NP/BN Business car sides and talked with them.
They added them to their catalog and I bought them.
I haven't built them up yet but....

Date: 10/19/14 05:03
Author: aehouse

Rapido's 10 roomette/5 double bedroom sleeper is dead on correct for the CSX business car "Youngstown," formerly Conrail 10, and before that EL and Erie sleeper "Spirit of Youngstown."

But of course you'd have to repaint it, as Rapido doesn't offer it in CSX OCS colors.

Art House

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0502 seconds