Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Model Railroading > I finally got around to modeling 4449!

Date: 10/21/14 18:13
I finally got around to modeling 4449!
Author: MrMRL

Below, for your viewing pleasure, an HO scale model of BNSF 4449.

This model started out as a factory painted Kato BNSF Heritage 2 C44-9W. The large yellow BNSF logos on the nose and sides were removed, and replaced with Microscale decals that better matched prototype dimensions. The small circle-cross herald on the rear was also covered with a Microscale decal. Kato AC4400CW handrails and grabirons were used instead of the original black C44-9W parts because they are thinner, tooled finer, and molded in the proper colors, green, yellow, orange, and white. A couple of the AC4400CW stanchions are in slightly different positions requiring drilling new mounting holes below the Dash-9 walkways, no big deal. One small portion of the Dash-9 handrail was utilized though to go up and over the side AC unit, and painted green to match. Speaking of that AC unit, the Kato model is incorrect for BNSF, modeling a 'dummy' AC box ala CNW style. A spare orange Athearn Dash-9 AC unit, with four Details Associates i-bolts inserted into the top, was fit in place after the Kato box was hacked off.

Date: 10/21/14 18:14
Re: I finally got around to modeling 4449!

Other model corrections/modifications included correct 4-pane cab windows. This process was surprisingly easy. All that really required trimming/enlargement was the small rounded forward window. The vertical post between the rear sliding windows and smaller forward window was kept in place to leave mounting points for the Details West rear view mirrors. Those posts are now behind the Details West frames.(Pro Tip: Drill out the mirror mounting holes in the Details West window frames prior to affixing the frames to your model. Ask me how I know...) Thin clear styrene, tinted black on the back sides with a Sharpie marker, was inserted into the new side windows. The top of the nose was painted flat black (the stock Kato Dash-9 modeled it in green) and the correct multi part nose grabirons were installed. Except for the center Hi-tech Details dome, the antenna array on the roof is modeled out of evergreen styrene bits.

Date: 10/21/14 18:14

The stock rear sand filler hatch below the headlight was filled in and moved to the top, now above the rear headlight. Then the front and rear pilots were dressed up with numerous additional small details after I cut and trimmed away 70% of the stock draft gears to reasonably shrink the coupler boxes down to proper proportions. There still too big, but now appear much improved. The couplers were then set a scale 6-9" deeper into the end frames requiring drilling and taping new mounting holes. I'm always amazed/disgusted at how far out stock Kato couplers stick.

Date: 10/21/14 18:15

The Kato BNSF C44-9W model (released now some 10-15+ years ago?) lacks any additional data and warning labels. Luckily Microscale produces many sheets with essentially any and all data you could want. I think I've counted 80 little warning decals on the model, taken from 4 different diesel data decal sheets. I just kept seeing more and more in the various online photos available. In addition to the numerous data decals, there are the now required FRA reflective stripes, and the custom number decals.

The model was moderately weathered with a wash of Model Master RR tie brown and flat black acrylic paints. then sealed with Testors dullcote. Richmond Controls SM-LEDs will be wired up inside the nose and ditchlight housings next.

Mr. MRL

Date: 10/21/14 18:49

Oh and DUH!! how could I forget!!!! The C44-9W is only the shell! The frame, fuel tank, and trucks are off a Kato AC4400CW model. Geez, spend 45 minutes typing this thing up, and I completely forgot one small little detail. Along with that as you should be able to see, the front nose handrails are still off, allowing for easier removal of the shell from the walkways for internal electronics work.

Photos also here...
http://www.pbase.com/mrmrl/bnsf_model_photos

Partial Parts List...

Kato:
37-6312 - BNSF Heritage 2 C44-9W #4929
952117 - BNSF AC4400CW Handral/Grabiron Set (includes cut levers)
Black MU hoses (leftovers from other Kato models)

Details West
SK-196 - Spare Knuckle Holders
DL-229 - Ditchlight Platforms
PL-235 - ATSF Style Snow Plow
MU-236 - MU Cable/Receptacles
AH-267 - Locomotive Air Hoses
RM-353 - Rear View Mirrors
BN-358 - 4 Window Cab Frames

Details Associates
2206 - I-bolts
2202 - Grabirons (on plow)

Hi-Tech Details
6007 - Universal Antenna Dome Octagon

Athearn
GE Dash-9 Air Conditioner
Brass Leslie 3-Chime Horn

Kadee
#153 Short Shank Semi-scale Couplers

Microscale Decals
MC-4389 - Yellow Reflector Stripes
MC-5016 - EMD SD70ACe Data
87-527 - EMD/GE Data
87-803 - BN SD70MAC Diesels (numberboard numbers)
87-925 - GE Dash-9/AC4400 Data
87-1024 - BNSF Dash-9-44CW Diesels
87-1076 - BNSF H2 GE Diesels
87-1255 - BNSF GE ES44DC Diesels

Tru-color Paint (for model touchups)
TCP-61 - BNSF Orange
TCP-62 - BNSF Green

Date: 10/21/14 19:37
Author: tomstp

Chalk weathering?

Date: 10/21/14 20:02
Author: tracktime

Most Excellent Modeling, Robby! Great Job! I especially appreciate your detailed narration of the project. Very useful!

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 10/21/14 20:09
Author: Atsf814

Think it needs a bath! :^) ( Ha Ha! ) Looks awesome!! Thanks for sharing.

Date: 10/21/14 20:37
Author: atsf5701

It's the scene of a grime.

Date: 10/21/14 22:47

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chalk weathering?

The model was moderately weathered with a watered down wash of Model Master RR tie brown and flat black acrylic paints, then sealed with Testors dullcote. A touch of 91% isopropyl alcohol to the wash helps the watery paint flow around and into the model details.

Mr. MRL

Date: 10/22/14 04:53
Author: acltrainman

Another great looking model and thanks for the details on your project.

Stanley Jackowski
Valrico, FL

Date: 10/22/14 09:57
Author: fbe

Fantastic attention to detail, Rob. Nothing beats being able to do touchy-feely on the real thing for reference either.

Could you do some more OT to contribute more to railroad retirement? My loco acquisitions this month just hit 9 units and I haven't tried to get the NAR GMD-1s so I need to know my pension won't go broke.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 10/22/14 11:46
Author: Harlock

Incredible modeling. I see those pass by all day so I know when they 'look right'...

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

Date: 10/23/14 06:32

fbe Wrote:
> Could you do some more OT to contribute more to
> railroad retirement? My loco acquisitions this
> month just hit 9 units and I haven't tried to get
> the NAR GMD-1s so I need to know my pension won't
> go broke.
>

Hey, Christmas is coming fast. Peak season around the corner, there is plenty to go around. Your RRR is in good hands. I just hope it is still there in another 30 years...

Thanks for al the comments and feedback folks.

Mr. MRL

Date: 10/23/14 11:07
Author: fbe

"Your RRR is in good hands. I just hope it is still there in another 30 years... "

Yes, it should be but you will have to fight for it. Contributions, pensions, support and distribution are 100% self supporting and politicians need to be reminded of that regularly.

Good luck, HO, HO, HO! Well you brought the holiday up. They are out of crews in Forsyth if you want to borrow out.

arb

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 10/23/14 19:32
Author: trkspd

Robby, your skills as a modeler are amazing. Proud to know we play ball for the same team, maybe I should bid over to California so you can teach me some modeling skills.

-model train operator

Posted from Android

Date: 10/24/14 03:54
Author: funnelfan

Did you also use the AC4400 cab to get the correct 4 window cab? I believe the Kato Dash-9's only came in the 3 window version.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 10/24/14 04:26

funnelfan Wrote:
> Did you also use the AC4400 cab to get the correct
> 4 window cab? I believe the Kato Dash-9's only
> came in the 3 window version.

I wish It was that easy Ted but there are significant differences in how the Kato C44-9W cab and AC4400CW cabs are tooled. They are not easy drop in place swaps. Refer to my second post above for a detailed description about those 4 window cab sides.

Mr. MRL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0866 seconds