Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Model Railroading > Where do you shop for used trains?

Date: 10/22/14 08:26
Where do you shop for used trains?
Author: KA7008

To the HO and N scale modelers in the group:

Where do you look for used models? I see many messages here on TO saying they avoid "that" auction site, so I was wondering where do you prefer to browse and shop?

Date: 10/22/14 08:29
Re: Where do you shop for used trains?
Author: calsubd

I use it, and have been happy so as they say "your mileage may vary"

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 10/22/14 09:07
Author: NDHolmes

Count me as one of the users of "that" auction site. Most of the time things go just fine. Never had an issue regarding model railroad stuff, and it's just about the biggest selection out there.

Date: 10/22/14 09:07
Author: SPDRGWfan

Yes, occasionally the auction site and train shows. Also there is HOI and HOSWAP yahoo groups email lists which I sell (and buy) on.

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 10/22/14 09:48
Author: SteamTrainJunkie

If your in the Santa Clara ,Sunnyvale area in California, there is a guy on craigslist that has a ton of used trains .I found his prices very reasonable.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/22/14 10:04
Author: EL-SD45-3632

EBay - Why not just not come out and say it! I use all the time and with great results! I found 3 Atlas GP7's for $95.69 that looked like they never turned a wheel and they run like a Timex...Not all deals on EBay are this good.

Date: 10/22/14 10:27
Author: RyanWilkerson

Ebay has some good stuff but a ton of junk. Their free listings with the automatic relisting really inflated that problem. In the past, I have saved searches to exclude a bunch of the big listers (of things I'm not looking for).
For N scale specifically, I like these:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/NScaleYardSale/conversations/messages
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/forumdisplay.php?306-TrainBoard-Swap-Meet
http://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?board=12.0

Ryan Wilkerson
Fair Oaks, CA

Date: 10/22/14 10:41
Author: DLM

Go to Hobby Recycling in Wyoming, MI. Jerry has a retail store that is mostly used trains with some new parts and track mixed in. Only a third of his inventory is on display. Ask if you don't see it. He also works train shows in Michigan. He does not sell on the internet.

Date: 10/22/14 10:47
Author: MrMRL

Another happy Ebay customer here. I sell and buy through ebay all the time. Much of the work I post here started out as an Ebay purchase. The latest acquisition was a factory new stock Kato C44-9W in BNSF H2. You ain't gonna find that at the LHS.

I don't understand why there is so much animosity from some folks over what they like to call 'that' website. Yes you could get burned, I've been burned once or twice over the last 15 years. Heck, you could get burned at a swap meet sale too! Just carefully read the auction, know what you're really getting, look at the seller's feedback.

Mr. MRL

Date: 10/22/14 10:55
Author: march_hare

My biggest buying binge each year is at the Amherst Ry Society "Big E" train show in Springfield, MA.

Other than that, I've done a couple dozen purchases on the "other Big E" namely Ebay, no complaints.

Date: 10/22/14 11:01
Author: Cupolau

I live in a large California city where the local hobby store carries very little model railroad supplies. It cost more in gas and sales tax sometimes to shop at this store. That four letter word auction site as my wife has often said jokingly , " Saved us into bankruptcy" because of the great bargains. I've been burned a couple of times but they have a great return policy and most sellers don't want to get a bad review and are willing to work with you.

Date: 10/22/14 11:20
Author: funnelfan

Train shows are the best source for bargains on used trains. If you use E-bay, and I do quite frequently, you do have to know what you are looking at and look at it very closely. Often items are damaged, but it can be hard to see in photos. Also, items are often mislabeled, which can be either a good or bad thing. Recently I've seen a couple of IM 4750 hoppers being listed as Tangent cars.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 10/22/14 16:21
Author: MojaveBill

I have had very good luck with N Scale Supply...

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 10/22/14 17:19
Author: BruceStikkers

I have also used NScale Supply and they have been very good to work with.

Bruce

Date: 10/22/14 19:00
Author: BrianK

For N Scale, I also use N Scale Supply and have had great service with Yard Sale Trains too.

http://www.nscalesupply.com/pon/Preowned.aspx

http://yardsaletrains.com/

Cheers,
Brian

Date: 10/22/14 19:46
Author: Streamliner

EBAY! If you are willing to spend the time looking through all the listings, there is nothing that even comes close to what you will find there. Policies are HEAVILY weighted in favor of the buyers, so rest assured that you can buy with absolutely no risk on your part. That said, if you are going to nitpick every little thing sellers will block you. They don't want the headaches that some crazies want to hit them with. Just make sure you ask any questions you may have, BEFORE you bid. If the seller doesn't want to answer all of your questions to your satisfaction, take a chance and bid anyway--knowing it will be YOUR fault if you end up with something you didn't want, OR, pass that seller by and find another who is more accommodating. You have all the power, but remember to live by the "Golden Rule," while still keeping "buyer beware" in mind.

Date: 10/23/14 09:32
Author: arizonaBNSF

Here in the Phoenix area there are several swap meets throughout the year and I'll usually try to make to as many as possible.

In downtown Glendale, there is a store called Jack's Trains that sells only used trains. They have pretty decent prices and always a good selection.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.053 seconds