Home Open Account Help 384 users online

Model Railroading > "new"Atlas dash 8-40CW

Date: 10/22/14 20:36
"new"Atlas dash 8-40CW
Author: Espeenut

...just received an HO scale GE Dash 8-40CW in the mail from Atlas, its Union Pacific # 9448, the only Dash 8 ever painted in the 'Building America' flag scheme, and its still earning its living today. I am a member of the Atlas Golden Spike Club and this model was an exclusive offer to club members back in 2011/12. My question is for those who are familiar with current Atlas releases. The last Atlas models I purchased were three SP GP40-2's and they came in the same packaging that this Dash 8 does. I have another Atlas Dash 8-40CW in BNSF markings and the boxing is totally different - much larger box with a lot of foam padding.

The interesting difference is between the two models. The BNSF model, bought back in 2005, doesn't appear to be as finely molded as the "new" UP model. The windows are quite thick on it and the molding doesn't seem quite as fine as on the "new" one. The windows on the UP one are crystal clear - easy to see the crew - and the data lettering on the side of the hood is now scale whereas on the older model this is definitely over scale.

I know Atlas, along with other manufacturers, has been having problems with production in China, and this model took almost two years to arrive after being announced. So is this an "all new" or slightly tweaked model based on the original molds but done in a different factory? I'm quite happy with its appearance and it seems to run OK (haven't really had it on the club layout yet to run it through its paces) This is an exclusively unique release of a exclusively unique locomotive so, even though I model the SP, felt would be a good fit in my small collection of UP motive power...

cheers,

Lorne Miller

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0384 seconds