Home Open Account Help 254 users online

Model Railroading > Source for 8-pin connectors

Date: 10/26/14 16:19
Source for 8-pin connectors
Author: moose

I am looking for a source for NMRA-type female 8-pin connectors for several old brass diesels into which a friend wishes to install decoders. Can anyone steer me toward a source, including part numbers if possible? I'm not even sure what to call these items, so I'm having trouble searching companies like Mouser or All Electronics. Thanks as always to the ever-helpful TO community.

Date: 10/26/14 16:51
Re: Source for 8-pin connectors
Author: fbe

TCSDCC.COM sells them and I think NCE does as well. Walthers also has them in stock from these companies and maybe others. They are NMRA 8 pin plugs though they are a socket.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 10/26/14 17:01
Author: sphauler

Date: 10/26/14 20:29
Author: KA7008

Make that two votes for dcchobbysupply.com

SUPERB service from John and Nan!

Date: 10/27/14 16:25
Author: spandfecerwin

Why do you not solder the decoder direct into the engine?

Erwin from Austria

Date: 10/29/14 07:29
Author: moose

As always the TO group comes through! I should have no more trouble finding these, though I have not yet checked NCE or Walthers.
Erwin, the friend wants to be able to easily switch out a defective decoder, I guess. Personally I have numerous decoders soldered in and am perfectly happy with the arrangement.
Thanks again, all.

Date: 10/29/14 08:43
Author: fbe

All the plug in decoders can be unplugged at the 9 pin connection on the decoder body. The connection is pretty tight at first but if you unplug them a few times before installation they get to be quite easy. It will be a lot easier to solder the harness wires to the locomotive hardware than to connect wires to the back of the 8 pin socket.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0323 seconds