Home Open Account Help 290 users online

Model Railroading > Finished another brass restoration.........Espee #4358

Date: 10/27/14 17:17
Finished another brass restoration.........Espee #4358
Author: SPED

I finished the installing the decoder (Digitrax DH126D) today and got number 4358 back on rails where it belongs. I had to scratch build a new bell mount and I replaced the pilot with a pressed steel pilot. Paint is as usual Scalecoat I black with San Juan Decals.
Heading to SLO for the Espee convention tomorrow with the Black lettered Cab Forward, that should cause a fuss in the contest area.

Ed

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/14 21:34 by SPED.

Date: 10/27/14 17:35
Re: Finish another brass restoration Espee #4358
Author: penncentral74

Touch up the glad hands with a silver Sharpie and she'll be ready! Nice finishing job.

Date: 10/27/14 17:49

penncentral74 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Touch up the glad hands with a silver Sharpie and
> she'll be ready! Nice finishing job.

I need to get some "rubber" colored paint for the hose, mine was solidifying in the jar, after that I'll add the silver.

Ed

Date: 10/27/14 17:49
Author: TomG

Looks really nice. What paint/color are you using on the sides of the smoke box?

Date: 10/27/14 20:45
Author: MojaveBill

Feeling the ground shake as two of those beauties in Daylight red and orange thundered past Oak Creek Road in Mojave with the westbound San Joaquin Daylight in the late 40s and early 50s from a dead stop at the depot a few blocks away is one of my most precious memories...

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 10/27/14 20:58

MojaveBill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Feeling the ground shake as two of those beauties
> in Daylight red and orange thundered past Oak
> Creek Road in Mojave with the westbound San
> Joaquin Daylight in the late 40s and early 50s
> from a dead stop at the depot a few blocks away is
> one of my most precious memories...

OHH YEAAA Bill, that would be have been something to remember. Last year I picked up a beautiful San Joaquin MT-4 from a friend in the contest room. I have another one in the "Q" getting ready for the S.J. paint job, it will have to wait till the 3 projects that are next, two cabooses and an AM-2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/14 21:36 by SPED.

Date: 10/27/14 21:34

I hope someone is happy now with the train and steam lines painted......HA HA (a fast trip to Hobbytown USA)

To answer TomG's question, the smoke box and firebox are painted with Scalecoat I METALLIC SMOKE BOX GRAY.

One thing I just started doing is painting the edge of the smoke box casting with Smoke Box Gray and then masking the edge and painting the front of the smoke box silver. It really makes a difference.

Ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/14 21:36 by SPED.

Date: 10/27/14 22:35
Author: superchief73

Another beautiful engine. WAs it necessary to remotor and regear?

Javier Cervantes
Castle Rock , CO

Date: 10/28/14 06:56

Hello Javier, I purchased this locomotive in at the Bakersfield Train Show this year and it came with a Cannon can motor, I took everything apart to paint it and re-installed the Cannon back in the model. Interestingly enough I did a test on my AC Cab Forward engine I restored a couple months ago comparing a can motor with an original open frame motor, the open frame had much more power so I put it back in the model.
Ed

Date: 10/28/14 08:22
Author: Frisco1522

That's a beautiful piece of work!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0553 seconds