Home Open Account Help 378 users online

Model Railroading > RMC is back!

Date: 10/28/14 13:10
RMC is back!
Author: AMTRUK

I Just picked up the July/October issue from the PO box.
After a quick thumb through it seems pretty much the same as before.
Thanks White River Productions for saving this magazine.

Luke

Date: 10/28/14 16:22
Re: RMC is back!
Author: Jeff_Johnston

Hi, thank you for that information, I haven't been to my LHS yet for my issue.

How does the magazine look - is the paper the same, perhaps better quality photo reproduction?

I sincerely hope this move to the new publisher brings a much-needed shot of professional publishing business practices to RMC. It's the "small" details like paying your freelance contributors on time, and not making them keep calling and asking for their pay six months after it was due, despite repeated assurances from the editor that the check was on the way. That's the reason I stopped contributing to RMC years ago, I don't need that kind of amateur hour publishing behavior. As a career-long magazine editorial guy I would sincerely enjoy having RMC as a possible market again.

Jeff Johnston
www.trainvideosandparts.com

Date: 10/28/14 16:23
Author: Kemacprr

Bill had officialy retired from Carstens before the end came. ----- Ken

Date: 10/28/14 16:26
Author: Sasquatch

Is Steve Barry no longer with them? I always enjoyed his writing and photography.

-Tom

Date: 10/28/14 16:29
Author: EspeeGoldenState

Sasquatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is Steve Barry no longer with them? I always
> enjoyed his writing and photography.
>
> -Tom

He is, Editor for the Railfan and Railroad.

Date: 10/28/14 16:46
Author: Sasquatch

EspeeGoldenState Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sasquatch Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Is Steve Barry no longer with them? I always
> > enjoyed his writing and photography.
> >
> > -Tom
>
>
> He is, Editor for the Railfan and Railroad.

Doh! I was spacin' there big time, wasn't I?! Thanks for straightening me out on that, EspeeGoldenState...time to go take my nappy ha ha ha!

-Tom

Date: 10/28/14 19:22
Author: wabash2800

It sounds like RR&RF I got the other day--I didn't notice any change either. Perhaps it will change over time or perhaps these had already been ready for press?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/14 20:28 by wabash2800.

Date: 10/28/14 20:22
Author: steamdiesel

They are using better paper and looks like a better product. Just got my issue today.

Date: 10/28/14 20:36
Author: grahamline

Better paper, and some wacky typesetting in the new products column. Probably be a couple issues before big changes take place.

Date: 10/29/14 11:43
Author: Jeff_Johnston

For a print magazine of this type there's about a 3 month lead time between start of an issue at the publisher and when it hits the streets. It's likely that there were 3 issues of RMC in the works when they pulled the plug -- one being polished (as much as they could, anyway ...) and prepped to send out the door to the printer; One being finished, with content being accumulated, edited and plugged in; and one being planned and laid out.

Given the inevitable tumult that happens when shifting a magazine from one publisher to another, especially when that means changing the physical location where it's produced, it's often easier to go with the currently-ready product rather than starting from scratch. If the new publisher has significant changes planned its team can go to work on the next issue, for example, rather than mess with what's already done. Chances are good we'll see the fingerprints of the new publisher and its editorial team in the near future.

The old RMC was fairly hidebound, so it's exciting to imagine what the new crew can do with it.

Jeff Johnston
(35 year career magazine staffer/editor/writer/photographer, automotive journalist and model RR field)
www.trainvideosandparts.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.058 seconds