Home Open Account Help 166 users online

Model Railroading > IAIS's West End - IM IAIS ES44AC review w/video

Date: 10/29/14 19:35
IAIS's West End - IM IAIS ES44AC review w/video
Author: iaisfan

I hesitate to post this, because I look like a complete idiot in the video, but I thought there might be some people here who'd be interested in James Wright's review, and I think Intermountain deserves to be supported for these IAIS offerings. Just please ignore the clown in the IAIS shirt. I've been working a lot of OT the last couple weeks, and the lack of sleep really shows. I've got a lot to smile about in life, but you sure wouldn't know it from this clip. :-D

(Youtube link was removed by TO, and since it's not my video, I can't upload it here. Please go to Youtube and search on "Intermountain IAIS ES44AC" to view.)

I can't say enough about how impressive the models are. Outstanding runners, and they sound great as well. Besides the details James mentioned in the video, IM also picked up on the phase differences between the early-order standard scheme model and the later-phase RI heritage unit, such as the move of the nose door from the conductor's side to the engineer's side.

One thing I might add to the review: It's been mentioned here that this run of ES44ACs includes a new motor that lacks the power of previous versions. I tend to run short 15-20 car trains over a layout that's essentially flat, so it wasn't an apparent problem for me, but I've heard that those running longer trains or dealing with steeper grades may have issues.

My thanks to James for shooting at my place. It was fun to see it come together.

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA
www.iaisrailfans.org/../Sub4WestEnd

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/14 19:38 by iaisfan.

Date: 10/29/14 20:17
Re: IAIS's West End - IM IAIS ES44AC review w/video
Author: bnsfsd70

Man, I saw you mention on the IAIS list that you don't plan to incorporate these into sessions (2005, yada yada...), but I can't tell you how excited I'd be to get to run the 513 to/from Atlantic up there. I'd actually want to do something other than the CB yard job for a change. Do it!!!

Regardless, it sure looks like IM did a great job with those units!

- Jeff

Date: 10/29/14 21:02

bnsfsd70 Wrote:
> Man, I saw you mention on the IAIS list that you don't plan to incorporate these into sessions (2005, yada yada...), but I can't tell you how
> excited I'd be to get to run the 513 to/from Atlantic up there. I'd actually want to do something other than the CB yard job for a change.
> Do it!!!

I've never been a huge fan of modern GEs, but I have to admit, these IM models are making me rethink that. I won't be switching eras or anything, but it is fun having them around and being able to run what I see in the present day now and then.

And yeah, if you're driving from KC, the least I could do is let you have your pick of power. I don't know how the big GEs would do on the Rover, but maybe a grain extra?

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA

Date: 10/29/14 22:15
Author: imrl

I'm game! I still need to come up for a visit! And I'll take whatever is first out on the ready track!

Date: 10/30/14 06:48
Author: bnsfbuff

Great video review...

I am a big fan of the Intermountain (IM) GEVOs, with the exception of the poor pulling power of the motor. A few personal contacts at IM report they are resolving the motor issues on future runs. I tend to have have enough Kato and Atlas units, so MU'ing IM units provides a short-term solution to the pulling power issues.

I have both the IAIS and IAIS heritage units and have been very please so far. As stated in the video review, the paint, detail, and smooth running are outstanding characteristics of the latest GEVO run - can't wait for the BNSF C4s to arrive next month.

Great job on video review, and would love to see a IAIS West End video tour!

John Parker
Longmont, CO
BNSF Fall River Division

Date: 10/30/14 08:33

imrl wrote:
> I'm game! I still need to come up for a visit! And I'll take whatever is first out on the ready track!

Seems to me I still owe your group a makeup session from the one that was snowed out last year.

bnsfbuff Wrote:
> I have both the IAIS and IAIS heritage units and have been very please so far.

Good man! :-) FYI, Some of the IAIS Gevos made their way west on BNSF a year or two ago, and I was thinking it took a week or so before they found their way back to home rails, so you're on solid ground. ;-)

> Great job on video review, and would love to see a IAIS West End video tour!

Thanks John! James mentioned coming back for just such a tour, but I think he's got a bit of a backlog to work through first. I'm putting the finishing touches on my first bridge scene and getting started on my second, so hopefully I can get them knocked out before he returns.

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/14 09:03 by iaisfan.

Date: 10/30/14 10:26
Author: bnsftcdiv

Joe,

Really enjoyed James review and seeing the railroad progress, even with it going by too fast sometimes. A west end review would be a good thing, I think.
I agree with Jeff, it would be neat to see the es44ac's run occasionally, even though that might dilute you era focus just a bit. Might give you another option for ops and I'd love to get back to run, no matter what shows up on the engine servicing track.

John Parker-I too am waiting for the c4's-even though I just paid for my NS's and a CSX for the oil trains….Hope intermountain might do an upgrade on the motors as well. Hope to get back out there as well soon. I'm finally getting the basement knocked into shape to start running this stuff!

Dave Burman
modeling the modern Twin Cities
Trempealeau, WI

Date: 10/30/14 10:32
Author: electromac

Joe,
Excellent video.......layout looks great, ES44ACs look great...........

Date: 10/30/14 13:56
Author: bnsfsd70

iaisfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> imrl wrote:
> > I'm game! I still need to come up for a visit!
> And I'll take whatever is first out on the ready
> track!
>
> Seems to me I still owe your group a makeup
> session from the one that was snowed out last
> year.

Yeah, that was great...

imrl, just let me know. I'm the one with the flexible schedule!

- Jeff

Date: 10/30/14 14:02

bnsftcdiv Wrote:
> Really enjoyed James review and seeing the railroad progress, even with it going by too fast sometimes.

Yeah, that high speed run was done to oblige James' regular viewers who apparently want to see the extremes of the model's performance. Good to know, I suppose, to sort out any potential P2K SD60-like issues down the road.

> I agree with Jeff, it would be neat to see the es44ac's run occasionally, even though that might dilute you era focus just a bit. Might give
> you another option for ops...

It'd be fun to run them, but things really changed on the IAIS in the GE era, so really modeling it even semi-accurately would mean huge changes in my rolling stock roster - lots of ethanol tanks, DDG covered hoppers, new IAIS covered grain hoppers, no more pig flats, etc. I'll leave that to someone else! :-) Can't say with any certainty I won't cheat and run them with my 2005 stuff now and then though. :-)

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0653 seconds