Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Model Railroading > Walthers HO PRR Metroliners

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 10/30/14 08:11
Walthers HO PRR Metroliners
Author: brfriedm

So one of the great things about openhouse month is I get to help others run their layouts and also get them ready. I was at a friends house last night getting another section online with DCC and he was mentioning he did not have time to get his new PRR Metroliners programmed and ready for the openhouse.

Hey, I can do that LOL! So I went home last night and programmed those beauties up and ran them around the layout. Boy did I have some fun. They all have Tsunami sound and the sound is incredible. They sound so realistic. The best part of all was the lighting. You can control the headlights, rear red markers, side numberboards and they have beautiful interior lighting.

Since my layout is all freight, it was fun running some passengers. The cars are quite heavy, the finish is the best I have seen and the detail is flawless. They run very smoothly. I tried to pull a coal train with them and.... Ok just joking.

Allot of fun. Now I have to return them. It was fun while it lasted! Long Live the Pennsy!

Bruce

Date: 10/30/14 08:13
Re: Walthers HO PRR Metroliners

3 more

Date: 10/30/14 08:14

another 3

Date: 10/30/14 08:15

Nice.

Date: 10/30/14 08:16

Last shots. Thanks Bruce

Date: 10/30/14 08:20

I did a short video with some of the overhead lights out so you could see some of the lighting and hear the Tsunami's. Not the best but still worth it.

Bruce

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/30/14 08:43
Author: penncentral74

My Walthers flyer shows them with a choice of 5 different herald choices. Do they come with a group of 'plates' that you can attach? I can't see them making up 5 varieties of each car...

Date: 10/30/14 08:43
Author: mcdeo

Beautiful, thanks for sharing!

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 10/30/14 09:12
Author: toledopatch

Does the cars' owner have catenary on his layout?

Date: 10/30/14 09:32
Author: chs7-321

toledopatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does the cars' owner have catenary on his layout?

And is the owner's first name Bill?? :)

Date: 10/30/14 10:30
Author: SPDRGWfan

Looks like a nice model for eastern and urban modelers! Very nice detail.

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 10/30/14 15:55
Author: dcmkris

Bruce,

They certainly did a very nice job with them but one question.

In several of the photos the under body details and some of the cantenary details appear to be unpainted plastic. Is that the case or just my eyes and monitor playing tricks on me?

Kris

Date: 10/30/14 16:24
Author: railfan400

On the one I have, the only unpainted underbody details are the cab end stirrup steps. On the roof, the pantograph walkway grids are unpainted as are a few of the black electrical details. The main nitpick I have is that the club(parlor) cars are marked "Parlor Car" while the ones I remember and have found photos of were marked "Metro Club".

Date: 10/30/14 17:16
Author: toledopatch

railfan400 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The
> main nitpick I have is that the club(parlor) cars
> are marked "Parlor Car" while the ones I remember
> and have found photos of were marked "Metro Club".

In that regard, were there any prototype cars decorated for PRR? I've only seen PC and Amtrak.

Date: 10/30/14 19:09
Author: dgraves

It looks good in Pennsy colors

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/30/14 20:07
Author: atsf121

Those look great. I bought an Amfleet car earlier this year and it looks really good, too.

Nathan

Date: 10/31/14 01:36
Author: rrhistorian

Thank you for sharing the great photos. As I was reading your description, I was going to look for a video - and then saw you uploaded that too! Awesome.

I wonder how the unpainted grey plastic will age. In other applications, I have seen that grey plastic often yellows with age.

>
> In that regard, were there any prototype cars
> decorated for PRR? I've only seen PC and Amtrak.

Yes - the first cars entered service for the PRR. I remember seeing Metroliners stored at the Wilmington shops in the early 1990s that still retained the tuscan red striping. The Metroliner at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania also retained its tuscan red striping when it was received by them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/14 01:46 by rrhistorian.

Date: 10/31/14 01:47
Author: Chooch

The detail is outstanding especially in the pantograph area. Very nice.

Jim

Date: 10/31/14 10:00
Author: bioyans

Bruce ... did you experience any trouble in operating them on your layout? I know there was a recent claim by another poster here, that the gearboxes are so low that they "hit switch frogs," that I was a bit skeptical of. Just wondering if you experienced anything unusual in trying to run them on your layout.

Date: 10/31/14 12:56

So let me answer a few questions for the folks the best I can. Remember, I did not buy these and I'm not a Pennsy dude.

The units ran fine and did not hit any switch frogs on my layout. The truck sideframes and walkways on the roof were not painted.

I think that was all of the questions. I do not have them any more. They will be serving customers on one of the openhouses this weekend in Delaware.

Be well.

Bruce

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0765 seconds